How could you see an image without photons? (imaging systems)

In summary, an advanced civilization could use an imaging system that does not use photons to see images of the universe before the first stars formed or the Big Bang itself. There are various ways to achieve this, but one of the most common is using radiation.
Maximum7
What kind of imaging system could be used to see without photons? I ask because I was watching a video and the furthest we can see back is Redshift Z~1090 which is the CMB. We can’t see the universe before the first stars formed or the Big Bang itself. My first guess would be some kind of dark matter imaging system BUT there seems to be no trace of the axion so perhaps dark matter does not exist. Is there any way an advanced civilization could do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maximum7 said:
What kind of imaging system could be used to see without photons? I ask because I was watching a video and the furthest we can see back is Redshift Z~1090 which is the CMB. We can’t see the universe before the first stars formed or the Big Bang itself. My first guess would be some kind of dark matter imaging system BUT there seems to be no trace of the axion so perhaps dark matter does not exist. Is there any way an advanced civilization could do this?
There can still be gravity waves from before deionization.

Likes 256bits, BillTre and topsquark
There are imaging systems that work without photons, but they won't do what you want with respect to seeing before CMB.
Electron microscopy
Atomic force microscopes
There are probably others.

I don't think gravitational wave technology is able to form images yet.

Likes russ_watters and topsquark
Maximum7 said:
What kind of imaging system could be used to see without photons?
What do you mean by "see"? Do you mean to record the image, or for a human to actually "see" the information? If the latter, there are ways to directly stimulate the visual cortex in the human brain; we're just not very skilled in doing that yet. And I see very detailed images when I'm dreaming, and no photons are directly involved in that... :wink:

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
What do you mean by "see"? Do you mean to record the image, or for a human to actually "see" the information? If the latter, there are ways to directly stimulate the visual cortex in the human brain; we're just not very skilled in doing that yet. And I see very detailed images when I'm dreaming, and no photons are directly involved in that... :wink:

Record an image

Maximum7 said:
Record an image
1668738756245.png

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/...nts_9a_baby_faces_220922_1920x1080-47a34q.jpg

berkeman said:
And I see very detailed images when I'm dreaming, and no photons are directly involved in that...
Well, with you, Mike, it's hard to tell just WHAT might be involved. :smile:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Hornbein said:
There can still be gravity waves from before deionization.
And the neutrino background which happened before the CMB.

Any type of radiation, be it protons, electrons, neutrons, neutrinos, etc can be used to create an image if you have a way of mapping their original location at reflection/emission to their final location upon detection. Telescopes and other optical devices achieve this by focusing light using mirrors or lenses while electron microscopes do this using various methods that I won't go into. We also already have neutron imaging as well.

Just about any type of wave can be used for imaging too. Sound waves, gravitational waves, gravity waves (waves on the surface of water), etc. Again, all you need is some way to map the wave's location at various points at the target location to whatever you're using to 'image' with.

• Informative
Likes Lren Zvsm, Hornbein, BillTre and 2 others
Drakkith said:
Any type of radiation, be it protons, electrons, neutrons, neutrinos, etc can be used to create an image if you have a way of mapping their original location at reflection/emission to their final location upon detection. Telescopes and other optical devices achieve this by focusing light using mirrors or lenses while electron microscopes do this using various methods that I won't go into. We also already have neutron imaging as well.

Just about any type of wave can be used for imaging too. Sound waves, gravitational waves, gravity waves (waves on the surface of water), etc. Again, all you need is some way to map the wave's location at various points at the target location to whatever you're using to 'image' with.
Neutrinos? That would be a good trick!

• Haha
Likes Lren Zvsm and Drakkith

1. How is it possible to see an image without photons?

While photons are the fundamental particles of light, there are other forms of radiation that can be used for imaging, such as sound waves or radio waves. These forms of radiation can also carry information about the objects they interact with, allowing us to create an image without relying on photons.

2. Can imaging systems work without photons?

Yes, imaging systems can work without photons. As mentioned before, other forms of radiation can be used for imaging. In addition, there are also imaging techniques that do not rely on radiation at all, such as MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) which uses magnetic fields to create images.

3. How do imaging systems without photons produce an image?

Imaging systems without photons use different techniques to produce an image. For example, in ultrasound imaging, sound waves are sent into the body and the echoes that bounce back are used to create an image. In MRI, the magnetic fields interact with the body's tissues to produce an image.

4. Are images produced without photons as clear as those produced with photons?

The clarity of an image produced without photons depends on the specific imaging technique used. Some techniques, like MRI, can produce very detailed images. However, in general, images produced without photons may not have the same level of resolution and detail as those produced with photons.

5. What are the advantages of using imaging systems without photons?

There are several advantages to using imaging systems without photons. For example, some techniques, like ultrasound, are non-invasive and do not use ionizing radiation, making them safer for imaging certain parts of the body. Additionally, some techniques, like MRI, can provide information about the structure and function of tissues, which may not be possible with traditional photon-based imaging methods.