How much CS as a physics major does one need?

In summary, my son is a rising college freshman who is majoring in physics (and thinking about adding a second major in math). He also has an interest in computer science and programming. Through his own research he's discovered that a lot of the day-to-day work of academic and professional physicists involve some level of programming and heavy data analysis. He's looking into taking classes in computer science as an undergraduate, but is concerned that it won't be beneficial to his physics major. Purdue has announced that they are no longer allowing anyone to switch majors to CS, and are freezing the minor program in the same way. He may be better off choosing a school where classes (or even a minor) is available.
Michael73
My son is a rising college freshman who is majoring in physics (and thinking about adding a second major in math). He also has an interest in computer science and programming. Through his own research he's discovered that a lot of the day-to-day work of academic and professional physicists involve some level of programming and heavy data analysis.

How much CS should a physics major take as an undergrad? Is it worth trying to get a minor in it or would several targeted classes suffice?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will get better answers from Physicists (I'm an EE with some CS background), but I would think that general CS courses like compilers and operating systems and database systems would be of limited value. Courses on numerical analysis programming would be much more in line with the Physics work, I would think.

Do you know what classes he is looking at taking? Is he already familiar with programming, and if so, in what languages?

Likes vela
My son hasn't actually decided which school he's going to yet...UW Madison announces admissions later today and Cornell comes on Tuesday. Either way, he's been admitted to Indiana University and Purdue University.

This topic was raised in part because of a thread on FB for parents of admitted students at Purdue. Someone's son applied as an engineering major in the fall and in the interim decided to change to CS and was told "no." There were 5,700 CS applicants for less than 400 spots. Not only is Purdue not allowing anyone to transfer into the CS program as a major, but in the last few days they've frozen CS as a minor, too with no spots available. At this point only a handful of intro CS classes are even available.

When combined with the idea that at least some amount of CS classwork is beneficial for a physics major, all of the above raises the question if he isn't better off choosing a school where classes (or even a minor) is available?

As for his existing knowledge base...he was involved in his high school's FIRST robotics team as part of the programming team and is self-taught in PHP and some ASP.Net.

As I said in October, your son should come here and join the discussion. It's his future.

This part is something like what was happening some decades ago:

When combined with the idea that at least some amount of CS classwork is beneficial for a physics major, all of the above raises the question if he isn't better off choosing a school where classes (or even a minor) is available?

Such major field and maybe some of the courses were said to be "impacted programs" or "locally impacted programs", so entering or changing to it as major field was either difficult or not possible.

Physics as a major, probably will never become like that, but any and all STEM field majors will be able to register and attend at least any "required" computer science courses for their chosen major - degree.

1. How much programming experience is required for a physics major?

The amount of programming experience required for a physics major can vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most physics majors will need to have a basic understanding of programming concepts and be proficient in at least one programming language, such as Python or C++.

2. Will I be taking computer science courses as part of my physics major?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some physics programs may require students to take a few computer science courses as part of their major, while others may not have any computer science requirements. It is important to check with your academic advisor or refer to the program's curriculum to see if computer science courses are required.

3. Can I pursue a career in computer science with a physics major?

Yes, a physics major can lead to a career in computer science. Many physics majors develop strong problem-solving and analytical skills, which are highly valued in the computer science industry. Additionally, with a strong foundation in physics, one can easily transition into a computer science field by learning additional programming languages and skills.

4. How much computer science knowledge is necessary for a physics major?

The amount of computer science knowledge required for a physics major will depend on the specific program and university. However, most physics majors will need to have a basic understanding of computer science concepts and be able to write simple programs to solve physics problems. Some programs may also offer more advanced computer science courses for students interested in pursuing a career in the field.

5. How can I improve my computer science skills as a physics major?

There are several ways to improve your computer science skills as a physics major. You can take additional computer science courses, participate in coding workshops or hackathons, and practice coding on your own by working on personal projects or joining coding clubs. It is also helpful to seek guidance from professors or peers who have a strong background in computer science.