How did my professor get this integral

In summary: Therefore, the integral of F(v_x,v_y) over all space is equal to 1. In summary, the Maxwell velocity distribution for an ideal gas can be derived by setting the integral of the two-dimensional Gaussian distribution over all space equal to 1, leading to the constant K being equal to (k/π)^1/2.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

derive maxwell distribution function in case of 1-d and 2-d classical gas

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The constant K can be solved from normalization.
##\int_{-∞}^{∞} F(V_x)dV_x = 1##

substituting ##F(V_x)=Ke^{+/- kV_x^2}##

##1 = K\int_{-∞}^{∞} e^{-kV_x^2}dV_x##
which equals:
##K(\frac{π}{k})^{1/2}##

how did that integral become that result?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that he used the definition of the Gauss error function and its limiting values at +/- ∞. At least, that's what I would do :smile:

Likes grandpa2390
This is the integral of a Gaussian (a bell curve essentially). There are plenty of resources online that give you the general form of this integral. One such resource is http://www.umich.edu/~chem461/Gaussian Integrals.pdf. They also include a very handy derivation.

Likes grandpa2390
Daniel Gallimore said:
This is the integral of a Gaussian (a bell curve essentially). There are plenty of resources online that give you the general form of this integral. One such resource is http://www.umich.edu/~chem461/Gaussian Integrals.pdf. They also include a very handy derivation.

I followed that. And it assuming I did it correctly... I got the same result.
##K = \frac{k}{π}^\frac{1}{2}## in 1-D
and
##K^2 = \frac{k}{π}## which is the same thing for 2-D

is that right?

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
I followed that. And it assuming I did it correctly... I got the same result.
##K = \frac{k}{π}^\frac{1}{2}## in 1-D
and
##K^2 = \frac{k}{π}## which is the same thing for 2-D

is that right?

For 1D, make sure to put some parenthesis around you fraction so we can tell you're setting the whole fraction the the 1/2 power.

For 2D, I believe your formula generalizes to [tex]1 = K\int_{-∞}^{∞}\int_{-∞}^{∞} e^{-k(V_x^2+V_y^2)}dV_x \, dV_y[/tex]

Daniel Gallimore said:
For 1D, make sure to put some parenthesis around you fraction so we can tell you're setting the whole fraction the the 1/2 power.

For 2D, I believe your formula generalizes to [tex]1 = K\int_{-∞}^{∞}\int_{-∞}^{∞} e^{-k(V_x^2+V_y^2)}dV_x \, dV_y[/tex]

well I thought it was ##F(V_x)F(V_y) = Ke^{(..)}Ke^{(...)}## and so K^2

grandpa2390 said:
well I thought it was ##F(V_x)F(V_y) = Ke^{(..)}Ke^{(...)}## and so K^2

A one-dimensional Gaussian has the form [tex]F(x)=Ke^{-\alpha x^2}[/tex] A two-dimensional Gaussian has the form [tex]F(x,y)=Ke^{-\alpha (x^2+y^2)}[/tex] For an ideal gas in two dimensions, the Maxwell velocity distribution is a two-dimensional Gaussian (I'm assuming [itex]V_i[/itex] represents the speed in the [itex]i[/itex]th direction). This is a consequence of the equipartition theorem.

Likes grandpa2390

1. How did my professor know which integral to use for this problem?

Your professor most likely has a strong understanding of calculus and has practiced solving various integrals. They also may have experience with similar problems and can make an educated guess on which integral to use.

2. Why does my professor use a certain method or technique to solve this integral?

There are many methods and techniques that can be used to solve integrals, and your professor may have chosen the one that they find most efficient or the one that best fits the problem at hand. They may also be trying to introduce you to different methods and techniques to expand your understanding of integrals.

3. How does my professor know when to use a certain substitution for an integral?

Your professor has likely studied and practiced many substitution techniques for integrals and can recognize when a certain substitution will lead to a simpler or more manageable integral. They may also be giving you specific hints or prompts to guide you towards the correct substitution.

4. How did my professor know the limits of integration for this integral?

Your professor may have derived or calculated the limits of integration using given information or properties of the function being integrated. They may also have experience with similar problems and can make an educated guess on the limits.

5. Why does my professor break down the integral into smaller parts?

Breaking down an integral into smaller parts can often make the problem more manageable and easier to solve. Your professor may also be trying to show you the concept of integration as the sum of smaller parts and how it relates to the function being integrated.