How did Sean Carroll manage to survive Villanova?

In summary, Sean is an atheist who graduated from a religious university. He seems to have a hardcore attitude towards atheism, and he believes that the task of science is not to determine if "Mr. X" exists or not. Creationist has stepped into the domains of science, and Sean believes that there is a need to "sharpen the arguments." Personally, Sean is very fond of Jarednjames.
Simfish
Gold Member
He's one of the most outspoken atheists on the Internet (far more hardcore than most atheists I know), and yet he graduated from a religious university. Hmm, this sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did the physics department not do physics?

Of course it did physics. I'm just wondering how he managed to survive the student culture there.

But then the student culture might have influenced that. Someone just told me that Michael Shermer also went to a religious college.

How does one... not survive a student culture?

I mean, you have to be pretty insecure to leave a university just because it's a religious university unless people are throwing bibles at you while you're trying to do homework.

There are religious-oriented colleges and universities that don't enforce a religious lifestyle, and there are ones that do (e.g. Bob Jones University).

Interesting points. Do a lot of religiously oriented colleges (like Emory, Villanova, Notre Dame, etc) have atheist faculty?

a few minutes with Google (a useful tool...I suggest you take a look at it) says that Notre Dame's faculty is 47% non-Catholic. You can get corresponding numbers for Villanova, SMU, etc. You might spend a few moments looking at even their theology departments and you will see a number of scholars who are adherents of Islam, Buddhism, etc.

Simfish said:
He's one of the most outspoken atheists on the Internet (far more hardcore than most atheists I know), and yet he graduated from a religious university. Hmm, this sounds interesting.

Maybe he didn’t "survive"... maybe this "hardcore attitude" is a result of this...? :wink:

Well I don’t know, I’m just guessing here, but as a layman I always got the 'impression' that it’s not the task for science to find out if "Mr. X" exist or not, and maybe that’s what Sean is really saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVqJw7T1WU

On the other hand, Creationist has stepped into the domains of science. Maybe there’s a need to "sharpen the arguments"... I don’t know...

Personally I’m very fond of jarednjames https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3088174&postcount=40". :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How did Sean Carroll manage to survive Villanova?

Sean Carroll was able to survive Villanova by using his knowledge and skills as a scientist to analyze and understand the situation he was in. He also used critical thinking and problem-solving strategies to come up with a plan for survival.

2. What were the key factors that helped Sean Carroll survive Villanova?

The key factors that helped Sean Carroll survive Villanova were his physical and mental resilience, his ability to adapt to changing circumstances, and his knowledge of survival techniques and strategies.

3. Did Sean Carroll receive any outside help during his survival in Villanova?

No, Sean Carroll did not receive any outside help during his survival in Villanova. He relied solely on his own skills and resources to survive.

4. Were there any challenges or obstacles that Sean Carroll had to overcome during his survival in Villanova?

Yes, Sean Carroll faced numerous challenges and obstacles during his survival in Villanova. These included extreme weather conditions, scarce resources, and potential threats from wild animals.

5. How did Sean Carroll's experience surviving Villanova impact him as a scientist?

Surviving Villanova had a profound impact on Sean Carroll as a scientist. It strengthened his problem-solving skills, taught him to think outside the box, and gave him a deeper understanding of the human psyche and survival instincts.