Nick Lanes on Sean Carroll's podcast

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, Sean Carrol talks with Nick Lane, one of the most interesting people in the field of origin of life studies. Lane takes a metabolism-first approach and favors alkaline hydrothermal vents as the site of life's emergence. Lane also has a new book, "Transformer: The Deep Chemistry of Life and Death". In addition, there is a recent debate on YouTube about abiogenesis research and a new paper from scientists outlining a strategy for studying the origins of life. The paper aims to bridge the gap between top-down and bottom-up approaches.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Nick Lanes is a primary proponent of a metabolisms first, alkaline hydrothermal vent approach to the origin of life. He has just published a book on how core metabolism could have preceded the origin of life. He has a new book on this stuff.
Here is one of Sean Carrol's podcasts. He talks with Nick Lane who is one of the most interesting (to me) people publishing on origin of life issues. He takes a strong metabolism first approach to the origin of life and also strongly favors alkaline hydrothermal vents as the site for where life emerged.
He has a new book out: Transformer: the deep chemistry of life and death.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Likes hutchphd, mattt, atyy and 2 others
Biology news on Phys.org
Here is another video I just found by Nick Lane.
This one is nice in that he is only talking about origin of life issues and goes into a lot of detail on how early biochemistry might have worked.

Likes Laroxe and pinball1970
@BillTre

This was in phys.org last week

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2300687120

I quick flick through the refs and all the usual suspects there including Russell, Lane, Oparin, Wächtershäuser.
There was a debate on YT regarding research on abiogenesis recently (interesting but not for pf )

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Recent work on the "RNA world" model

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2321592121

From the abstract,

"This study demonstrates the critical importance of replication fidelity for maintaining heritable information in an RNA-based evolving system, such as is thought to have existed during the early history of life on Earth."

https://phys.org/news/2024-03-life-evidence-rna-world.html

from the article

"The study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), unveils an RNA enzyme that can make accurate copies of other functional RNA strands, while also allowing new variants of the molecule to emerge over time. These remarkable capabilities suggest the earliest forms of evolution may have occurred on a molecular scale in RNA."

• Informative
Likes Astranut and BillTre
Wow, it took them a while to find one that would work.

I thought for some reason PNAS had gone open access. I guess that was wrong on that.
Hammerhead RNA's are between 50 and 150 nucleotides long, but a core of 15 invariant bases and 3 helical stems (not sequence invariant). Other parts would seem to be more variable.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970