Spring conservation of energy problem

In summary, the force of a spring is determined by the spring constant and the mass of the object being pulled.
mr1709
1. A spring is suspended from a ceiling and a 256g mass is attached to it and pulled down to stretch the spring by 18.2cm The mass is released and travels through the equilibirum position with a speed of 0.746m/s. Calculate the force of the spring constant

Solution

Et= Et'
Ee = Ek + Eg
0.5kx^2 = 0.5mv^2 + mgy
k = (mv^2 + 2mgy)/x^2

So i was doing this question online and saw the solution and have no issue with solving it after seeing how it was solved. My only issue is regarding the theory of this question and was hoping maybe somoene could explain to me.

So the solution involves equating Ee = EG + Ek, but i don't really understand why eg+ek is equal to Ee. I get that when the spring is stretched down it only has elastic potential energy, but then why when its released does the elastic energy equal the sum of gravitational energy and kinetic energy. And why is the y in mgy equal to the same value as x in the spring formula 0.5kx^2

My only reasoning which i still don't fully understand is that when the spring is in its equlibirium position as its released...Ee= 0 and all the energy is now converted to another form. I initially thought that all the energy became kinetic energy, but why is some gravitational as well?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr1709 said:
the solution involves equating Ee = EG + Ek,
It is impossible to evaluate that out of context. What exactly does each of those terms mean here?
A context-free version would be work conservation: ΔEe+ΔEg+ΔEk=0.

Btw, the question as stated appears ambiguous. Is the 18.2cm extension the total extension from relaxed length or additional extension after adding the mass and allowing the system to arrive at equilibrium?

haruspex said:
It is impossible to evaluate that out of context. What exactly does each of those terms mean here?

Btw, the question as stated appears ambiguous. Is the 18.2cm extension the total extension from relaxed length or additional extension after adding the mass and allowing the system to arrive at equilibrium?

Its the exact way the question was worded. Il post the websites solution. I may be wrong but i see it as the spring is initially at rest in equlibirum position with the spring already attached. Then someone pulls it down

Solution

Et= Et'
Ee = Ek + Eg
0.5kx^2 = 0.5mv^2 + mgy
k = (mv^2 + 2mgy)/x^2

and once all numbers are plugged in it gives a final spring constant of 31.9. My issue is i don't understand the logic of the problem.

Last edited:
mr1709 said:
Its the exact way the question was worded. Il post the websites solution.

Solution

Et= Et'
Ee = Ek + Eg
0.5kx^2 = 0.5mv^2 + mgy
k = (mv^2 + 2mgy)/x^2

and once all numbers are plugged in it gives a final spring constant of 31.9. My issue is i don't understand the logic of the problem.
Ok, I see.
Sadly, that is not quite logical.
I'll try taking the given x as the additional extension beyond equilibrium, but in that case the stored PE is not ½kx2.
In the equilibrium position, we already have an extension x0. If the additional extension is Δx then the total stored PE is ½k(x0+Δx)2. So in going from there to equilibrium we have:
ΔEe=½kx02-½k(x0+Δx)2
=-kx0Δx-½k(Δx)2.
This is equal and opposite to the gain in KE and GPE, ½mv2+mgΔx
Since mg=kx0, cancellation yields
½k(Δx)2=½mv2
So maybe I have taken the wrong meaning for x. Will repost with the other interpretation.

I have no idea why they used x and y for the same entity.

Last edited:
mr1709 said:
1. A spring is suspended from a ceiling and a 256g mass is attached to it and pulled down to stretch the spring by 18.2cm The mass is released and travels through the equilibirum position with a speed of 0.746m/s. Calculate the force of the spring constant
If you consider the equilibrium position of the spring to be the zero potential level of the gravitational force ,then at a displacent x from mean position the total energy would be .5kx2spring potential-mgx gravitational potential+KE,
At the time of max. displacement KE=0, and when crossing through mean position PE=0(as x=0),
So .5kx2max.-mgxmax.=KEmax.(at the mean position)

Apashanka said:
If you consider the equilibrium position of the spring to be the zero potential level of the gravitational force ,then at a displacent x from mean position the total energy would be .5kx2spring potential-mgx gravitational potential+KE,
At the time of max. displacement KE=0, and when crossing through mean position PE=0(as x=0),
So .5kx2max.-mgxmax.=KEmax.(at the mean position)
No, ½kx2 is the spring potential energy if x is the displacement from the relaxed position, which is different from the equilibrium position.
Recall that in SHM of a suspended mass g does not feature in the period. This is because it cancels out of the ODE. See post #4.

Last edited:
Have now tried the other interpretation of the question, i.e. that the pull down includes the descent from relaxed to equilibrium. I get ##(\frac km)^2x^2-(2gx+v^2)\frac km+g^2=0##.
So either way, the solution given on the website is wrong.

haruspex said:
No, ½kx2 is the spring potential energy if x is the displacement from the relaxed position, which is different from the equilibrium position.
Recall that in SHM of a suspended mass g does not feature in the period. This is because it cancels out of the ODE. See post #4.
That's right ,
Equilibrium position is at mg/k from the relaxed position.

Apashanka said:
That's right ,
Equilibrium position is at mg/k from the relaxed position.
So do you agree that what you wrote in post #5 was wrong?

mr1709 said:
The total energy at max. stretch is .5kxmax.2-mgxmax.=E
The total energy at the equilibrium position is .5kxe2-mgxe+KE=E ,...(1)
Subtituting xe=mg/k will give k

Apashanka said:
The total energy at max. stretch is .5kxmax.2-mgxmax.=E
The total energy at the equilibrium position is .5kxe2-mgxe+KE=E ,...(1)
Subtituting xe=mg/k will give k
Right, but that is not what you wrote in post #5, agreed?
And do you agree that the eqn in post #1 is wrong?

mr1709 said:
k = (mv^2 + 2mgy)/x^2

and once all numbers are plugged in it gives a final spring constant of 31.9.
I think, by equilibrium position the author meant to denote the relaxed position of the spring without the mass. Then the final P.E. of the spring is zero, and for the spring-mass system, ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2+mgx+(-\frac{1}{2}kx^2)=0##

But indeed x & y refers to the same length here, if the answer given is 31.9 unit.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Right, but that is not what you wrote in post #5, agreed?
And do you agree that the eqn in post #1 is wrong?
Yah that's right I have misinterpret it with the simple case of a spring vibrating on a horizontal plane for which the relaxed and the equilibrium position are the same,but it is actually vibration on a vertical plane that's why I have edited it in further posts

PKM said:
I think, by equilibrium position the author meant to denote the relaxed position of the spring without the mass.
Possibly, but that is a quite wrong usage of the term equilibrium position. I feel it is more likely just a blunder in the solution.

haruspex said:
Possibly, but that is a quite wrong usage of the term equilibrium position. I feel it is more likely just a blunder in the solution.
Yes, I feel the same ##\ddot\smile##

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of conservation of energy in a spring?

The concept of conservation of energy in a spring refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In the case of a spring, the potential energy stored in the spring due to its deformation is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original shape.

2. How is the conservation of energy demonstrated in a spring?

The conservation of energy in a spring can be demonstrated through the use of a simple experiment. When a mass is attached to a spring and released, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the mass moves up and down. The total energy remains constant throughout the motion, demonstrating the principle of conservation of energy.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in a spring?

The conservation of energy in a spring is affected by several factors, including the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring), the amplitude of the motion, and the mass attached to the spring. These factors determine the amount of potential and kinetic energy present in the system, and how they are transferred between each other.

4. Can the conservation of energy be violated in a spring?

No, the conservation of energy cannot be violated in a spring. As stated by the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of a spring, the energy may be transformed into different forms, but the total amount of energy in the system remains constant.

5. How is the conservation of energy in a spring related to the laws of motion?

The conservation of energy in a spring is closely related to the laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of momentum. As the spring oscillates, the potential and kinetic energy are constantly changing, but the total energy remains the same. This is similar to how momentum is conserved in a system, as the momentum of one object may change, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.