How do baryons transform under chiral transformations?

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding how to construct effective Lagrangians for hadrons, specifically focusing on the transformation of baryons under chiral transformations. It mentions the linear sigma model and the chiral symmetry, as well as the octet of baryons and its transformation under unbroken symmetry. The conversation also mentions a specific representation and a reference for further understanding.
Andrea M.
I'm trying to understand how to construct effective lagrangians for the hadrons. I understand the procedure for the mesons but I get stuck on baryons. In particular I don't understand how the baryons should transform under a chiral transformation. I mean for the mesons it was easy because they could be interpreted as the Goldston bosons of the theory, but for baryons?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you working from a specific reference? In the linear sigma model, for example, the nucleon is introduced as a Dirac spinor. The chiral symmetry is manifest as ##SU(2)_L\times SU(2)_R##, where the factors act independently on the chiral components of the spinor.

I'd like to understand how the octet of baryons ##B## transforms under ##SU(3)_L\times SU(3)_R##. The only thing I know is that it must transforms as the eight dimensional representation of the unbroken symmetry ##SU(3)_V## but I don't get why it should transform like
$$
B\to h(\phi,g)Bh^{\dagger}(\phi,g)
$$
where ##\phi## are Goldstone bosons fields, ##g## is a ##SU(3)_L\times SU(3)_R## transformation and ##h## is a ##SU(3)_V## transformation as claimed for example in Pich, A. & de Rafael, E., 1991. Strong CP violation in an effective chiral Lagrangian approach. Nucl. Phys., B367(2), pp.313–333.

I am not that familiar with specific nonlinear realizations, but there is a draft version of Georgi's book available at www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hgeorgi/weak.pdf. This representation is discussed in Ch. 6, but you will need to refer to the discussion of mesons in Ch. 5 to figure out the notation.

Likes Andrea M.
Yes I've already read this but I still have some doubts, I will give him another chance.

1. What is a Baryon effective Lagrangian?

A Baryon effective Lagrangian is a theoretical framework used in particle physics to describe the interactions between baryons (particles made up of three quarks, such as protons and neutrons) and other particles. It is based on the principles of quantum field theory and is used to study the behavior of baryons at low energies.

2. How is a Baryon effective Lagrangian constructed?

A Baryon effective Lagrangian is constructed by using a combination of symmetry principles and experimental data. Symmetry principles, such as chiral symmetry, are used to constrain the form of the Lagrangian, while experimental data is used to determine the values of the parameters in the Lagrangian. This allows for predictions to be made about the behavior of baryons in different scenarios.

3. What is the importance of a Baryon effective Lagrangian in particle physics?

The Baryon effective Lagrangian is important in particle physics because it provides a framework for understanding the interactions of baryons, which are the building blocks of matter. It allows for the calculation of important quantities, such as scattering amplitudes and decay rates, and can be used to make predictions for experiments at low energies.

4. How does a Baryon effective Lagrangian differ from a quark model?

A Baryon effective Lagrangian differs from a quark model in that it takes into account the interactions between baryons and other particles, while a quark model only considers the internal structure of baryons. The Baryon effective Lagrangian is a more complete and accurate description of baryon behavior at low energies.

5. What are some applications of a Baryon effective Lagrangian?

The Baryon effective Lagrangian has many applications in particle physics, including the study of baryon-baryon interactions, baryon electromagnetic form factors, and baryon decays. It is also used in lattice QCD calculations to study the behavior of baryons at low energies. Additionally, the Baryon effective Lagrangian has applications in nuclear physics, such as in the description of nuclear structure and reactions.