How Do Capacitors Behave in Series and Parallel Networks?

In summary, when a 9.0 uF and 4.0 uF capacitors are connected in parallel, and this combination is connected in series with a 12.0 uF capacitor, the net capacitance is 6.24 uF. When 32 V is applied across the whole network, the voltage across the 12.0 uF capacitor is 16.64 V and the voltage across the 13.0 uF capacitor (9.0 and 4.0 in parallel) is 15.36 V. The voltage across the 9.0 and 4.0 uF capacitors is also 15.36 V due to the constraint that components in parallel have the same potential difference
sunflowerzz

Homework Statement

A 9.0 uF and 4.0 uF capacitors are connected in parallel, and this combination is connected in series with a 12.0 uF capacitor.
a) what is the net capacitance?
b) if 32 V is applied across the whole network, calculate the voltage across each capacitor.

Homework Equations

In parallel, capacitance add together C = C1 + C2
In series, 1/C = (1/C1) + (1/C2)

Q = CV

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find part a) to be 6.24 uF.

For part b), this is what I have:

Q = CV = 6.24 * 10^-6 F * 32 V = 2.0 * 10^-4 C

For the 12 uF:
V = (2.0 * 10^-4 C) / (12 * 10^-6 F) = 16.64 V

For the 13 uF (9.0 and 4.0 in parallel):
V = (2.0 * 10^-4 C) / (13 * 10^-6 F) = 15.36 V

My question is will the 9.0 and 4.0 uF have the same voltage as the 13 uF or will I have to do the same for each 9.0 and 4.0 uF capacitor?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sunflowerzz said:
My question is will the 9.0 and 4.0 uF have the same voltage as the 13 uF or will I have to do the same for each 9.0 and 4.0 uF capacitor?
Components in parallel always have the same potential difference.

gneill said:
Components in parallel always have the same potential difference.

So I assumed right? The 9.0 and 4.0 uF, which combines to 13 uF, will have the same voltage as if it were 13 uF? Is that the same for in series as well?

sunflowerzz said:
So I assumed right? The 9.0 and 4.0 uF, which combines to 13 uF, will have the same voltage as if it were 13 uF? Is that the same for in series as well?

Series connected components are not constrained to have the same potential difference. Besides their own (isolated) connection which marks them as series connected, they connect to two different nodes. That's three different nodes that may each have different potentials.

gneill said:
Series connected components are not constrained to have the same potential difference. Besides their own (isolated) connection which marks them as series connected, they connect to two different nodes. That's three different nodes that may each have different potentials.

Ok thanks.

Just to clarify,

V (12 uF) = (2.0 * 10^-4 C) / (12 * 10^-6) = 16.64 V

V (13 uF) = (2.0 * 10^-4 C) / (13 * 10^-6) = 15.36 V

V (9.0 uF) and V (4.0 uF) = 15.36 V because components connected in parallel will have the same voltage across the capacitors.

sunflowerzz said:
Ok thanks.

Just to clarify,

V (12 uF) = (2.0 * 10^-4 C) / (12 * 10^-6) = 16.64 V

V (13 uF) = (2.0 * 10^-4 C) / (13 * 10^-6) = 15.36 V

V (9.0 uF) and V (4.0 uF) = 15.36 V because components connected in parallel will have the same voltage across the capacitors.
Yup. Looks good.

Related to How Do Capacitors Behave in Series and Parallel Networks?

What is the net capacitance?

The net capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is the sum of all the capacitances within a circuit or system.

How is net capacitance calculated?

Net capacitance can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of all the components in a circuit. It can also be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

What factors affect net capacitance?

The factors that affect net capacitance include the distance between the conductors, the surface area of the conductors, the type of dielectric material between the conductors, and the voltage applied to the circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for net capacitance?

The unit of measurement for net capacitance is the farad (F), which is equivalent to one coulomb per volt.

Why is net capacitance important?

Net capacitance is important because it is a critical factor in determining the behavior of a circuit. It affects the amount of charge that can be stored, the response time of the circuit, and the overall performance of electronic devices.