How Do Current Divider Rules Determine I1 and I2 in a Circuit?

In summary, the problem was to find the unknown currents I1 and I2 in the given circuit. Using V=IR, i1=i(R4/(R12+R4)), and i2=i(R12/(R12+R4)), we can find that I1=1A and I2=3A. The second problem was to solve for the voltage Vx and ix. Using V=IR, we can find that Vx=50V and ix=25A.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Find the unknown current I1 and I2 in the circuit shown below. (Reference problem 7 on the PDF doc)

Homework Equations

V=iR
i1=i(R4/(R12+R4))
i2=i(R12/(R12+R4))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used V=ir where V=20v and R=2ohm so i=10A. Then plugging into i1 equation where R4=4 ohn, and R12=12 ohm. I get 2.5 A on i1 which makes sense because the resistance is higher and plugginf in i2 I get 7.5A again which makes sense because it has a lower resistance this also completes KCL rules. My question is did I do this right?

Attachments

• xid-5296632_1.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 309
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello it would not allow me to ask a second question using the same PDF so I figured I would ask a second on this post sorry if this is wrong.

Homework Statement

Solve for the voltage Vx and ix?(Reference problem 8)

Homework Equations

v=ir
0=i1+i2+3+...in
0=V1+V2+V3+...Vn

I suppose I am incorrect but this cirrcuit doesn't appear to be valid. When I do this 90V - 5A(8 ohm) = 50 volts. Then i10=50V/10 ohm = 5A well how can this be because due to KCL that would mean 5 amps and 5 out meaning no current would flow into the 4 ohm resistor. Ugh what have I done wrong.

The problems are separate from each other and both are on the PDF that was given

DODGEVIPER13 said:

Homework Statement

Find the unknown current I1 and I2 in the circuit shown below. (Reference problem 7 on the PDF doc)

Homework Equations

V=iR
i1=i(R4/(R12+R4))
i2=i(R12/(R12+R4))

I used V=ir where V=20v and R=2ohm so i=10A. Then plugging into i1 equation where R4=4 ohn, and R12=12 ohm. I get 2.5 A on i1 which makes sense because the resistance is higher and plugginf in i2 I get 7.5A again which makes sense because it has a lower resistance this also completes KCL rules. My question is did I do this right?

The load that the 20V source sees is not just 2Ω, so your total current is not correct; the current that passes through the 2Ω resistor also must pass through the other resistors on its way back to the source. If you want to find the total current, you'll need to find the equivalent resistance presented by resistor network.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55275&stc=1&d=1359763092.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 536
Ahhh ok makes sense so when I put the 12 ohm adn 4 ohm resistor in parrallel and then in series with the 2 ohm resistor I will get 5 ohms which equates to a total aperage of 4 A. Then by me above equation for i1=1A and i2=3A. Is that correct?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ahhh ok makes sense so when I put the 12 ohm adn 4 ohm resistor in parrallel and then in series with the 2 ohm resistor I will get 5 ohms which equates to a total aperage of 4 A. Then by me above equation for i1=1A and i2=3A. Is that correct?

Your result looks fine.

Ok thanks man do you think you could help with my second question I posted I know I prolly wasnt suppose to do that but it wouldn't let post two separate ones with the pdf.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
I suppose I am incorrect but this cirrcuit doesn't appear to be valid. When I do this 90V - 5A(8 ohm) = 50 volts. Then i10=50V/10 ohm = 5A well how can this be because due to KCL that would mean 5 amps and 5 out meaning no current would flow into the 4 ohm resistor. Ugh what have I done wrong.

There's nothing wrong with the circuit or your analysis so far. What does that tell you about the potential drop across the 4Ω resistor?

it would 0 correct

oh heck woops I get it now so it would be 50-0=50 volts then v=iR so i2=25A going out which means. 0=5-5-25+ix so ix=25A and Vx = 50 volts is that correct?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
oh heck woops I get it now so it would be 50-0=50 volts then v=iR so i2=25A going out which means. 0=5-5-25+ix so ix=25A and Vx = 50 volts is that correct?

Yup. That's it.

Related to How Do Current Divider Rules Determine I1 and I2 in a Circuit?

What is the current divider rule?

The current divider rule is a principle used in electrical circuit analysis to determine the distribution of current in a parallel circuit. It states that the current flowing through each branch of a parallel circuit is inversely proportional to the resistance of that branch.

How do you use the current divider rule?

The current divider rule is used by first identifying the total current in the circuit and the resistance of each branch. Then, the current flowing through each branch can be calculated by dividing the total current by the resistance of that branch.

What is the equation for the current divider rule?

The equation for the current divider rule is In = IT * (RT / Rn), where In is the current in the nth branch, IT is the total current, RT is the total resistance, and Rn is the resistance of the nth branch.

Can the current divider rule be used for AC circuits?

Yes, the current divider rule can be used for both DC and AC circuits as long as the resistances are constant. However, for AC circuits, the calculations must be done using complex numbers.

What are the limitations of the current divider rule?

The current divider rule assumes that the resistances in the circuit are constant and that there are no other factors affecting the distribution of current. In reality, there may be factors such as temperature, non-ideal components, and other circuit elements that can affect the current distribution. Additionally, the current divider rule only applies to parallel circuits and cannot be used for series circuits.