What Role Does Optical Fiber Play in Fiber Lasers?

In summary, fiber lasers are lasers that contain optical fibers as components, rather than just being used as transmitters in optical fiber systems. The fiber serves as a means of transporting infrared energy from a remote power supply to the laser head, where it is used to pump the YAG crystal. However, fiber optic cables cannot be used as the main cavity for a fiber laser, as they are intended for transporting optical signals rather than acting as the medium for lasing. A more detailed explanation of how fiber lasers work can be found at the provided link.
WhoWeAre
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about fiber lasers. I don't mean those used as transmitters on optical fiber systems; I mean lasers that contain optical fibers as components.

I know that it can be done, but I don't know what the structure is like. What part does the fiber play? Is it used as the resonance chamber, the lasing medium, or something else? If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
I work with http://www.coherentinc.com/Lasers/index.cfm?fuseaction=show.page&id=868&loc=834" These lasers have Infrared pumping LEDs in a remote Power Supply. The Infrared beam is carried through Fiber optics to the Laser head itself. In the laser head the infrared energy is used to pump the YAG crystal.

I do not believe that a fiber optic cable could be used for the main cavity. Fiber optic cables are used to transport a optical signal, they are wire of optical systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Role Does Optical Fiber Play in Fiber Lasers?

What are fiber lasers?

Fiber lasers are a type of laser that use optical fibers as the gain medium. These lasers have a high power output, are highly efficient, and can produce a high-quality laser beam. They are commonly used in industrial applications such as cutting, welding, and drilling.

How do fiber lasers work?

Fiber lasers work by using a doped fiber as the gain medium. The fiber is pumped with a high-power laser, which excites the dopants and causes them to emit photons. These photons are then amplified as they travel through the fiber, resulting in a high-energy laser beam.

What are the advantages of using fiber lasers?

There are several advantages to using fiber lasers, including high power output, high efficiency, and a compact design. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to other types of lasers. Additionally, fiber lasers can produce a high-quality laser beam, making them ideal for precision cutting and welding.

What are the main applications of fiber lasers?

Fiber lasers are commonly used in industrial applications, such as cutting, welding, and drilling. They are also used in medical and scientific research, as well as in telecommunications for data transmission. Other applications include laser marking, engraving, and additive manufacturing.

What are the differences between fiber lasers and other types of lasers?

Fiber lasers have several distinct differences compared to other types of lasers. They have a longer lifespan, higher power output, and are more energy-efficient. They also have a smaller size and can produce a higher-quality laser beam. However, they may have limitations in terms of wavelength options and may require more specialized equipment for maintenance and repair.