How Do Fiber Optic and Copper Cables Differ in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics concepts involved in fiber optic cabling and copper cabling and how they relate and differ from each other. The speaker is seeking suggestions and resources to help them understand the differences between the two types of cabling, particularly when it comes to copper cabling. They mention that fiber optics have a better signal to noise ratio and are immune to electrical noise, while copper cabling is easier to install and uses the same physical format as electronic systems. The difference in speed and spread of energy in both mediums is also discussed.
Grove1996
Hey

I am about to start a research paper on the physics concepts involved in relation to fibre optic cabling and copper cabling. In my report I have to discuss how the physics in both relate and differ from one another. In terms of fibre optic cabling I have decided to talk about snell's law and the associated variables/concepts that go with it. However, I am unsure what to talk about in relation to copper cabling. This is my last major piece in my last year of high school and I really want to do well. I know the main differences between the two, but I'm unsure what to focus on in particular when it comes to copper cabling. If anyone has any suggestions or links to post that might be useful that would be great.

Regards,
Grove1996

Science news on Phys.org
You can address the topic from ether a high level of the differences or a low level.
From a high level Fiber Optics tend to have a much better signal to noise ratio, and are immune to
electrical noise.
Copper on the other hand is easy to install, and passes data in the same physical format as most
electronic systems (electrical current).

At the low level, it might help to think about a square pulse of energy sent into both mediums.
In the fiber, the pulse is a concentration of photons moving along like a wave.
As the wave moves, some of the photons take shorter bounce paths, some longer.
Over distance this difference in speed, looks like dispersion, the crisp edges of the
pulse start spreading over a broader time window.
In the copper the pulse is a voltage difference, that interacts with the capacitance and
resistance of the cable. In copper cabling this effect can occur in very short cable runs.
On a scope both effect look alike, (the energy is spread over a broader time),
but are unrelated in cause.

Related to How Do Fiber Optic and Copper Cables Differ in Physics?

1. What is the main difference between fibre optic and copper cable?

The main difference between fibre optic and copper cable is the way they transmit data. Copper cables use electrical signals to transmit data, while fibre optic cables use light signals. This results in faster data transmission and longer distances for fibre optic cables.

2. Which type of cable is more reliable?

Fibre optic cables are generally considered to be more reliable than copper cables. This is because they are not affected by electrical interference, which can disrupt data transmission in copper cables. Additionally, fibre optic cables are less prone to damage from weather or other external factors.

3. Are there any cost differences between fibre optic and copper cable?

Fibre optic cables tend to be more expensive than copper cables. However, the cost difference can vary depending on factors such as the length of the cable and the type of installation. In the long run, fibre optic cables may be more cost-effective due to their reliability and longer lifespan.

4. Which cable is better for high-speed internet?

Fibre optic cables are better for high-speed internet because they have a higher bandwidth capacity and can transmit data at faster speeds compared to copper cables. This makes them ideal for applications such as streaming and online gaming.

5. Is it possible to switch from copper cable to fibre optic cable?

Yes, it is possible to switch from copper cable to fibre optic cable. However, this may require significant infrastructure changes and can be costly. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the feasibility and cost of switching to fibre optic cables.