How do human brains detect false irregularities in faces?

• Thread starter ally
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, humans have the ability to detect false irregularities in faces, such as those seen in deepfakes or photoshopped images. There is literature on deepfake identification using AI, but not much research on how humans specifically detect them. It is possible to reverse engineer AI methods to find papers on human detection, and there is some research on how humans distinguish between normal and irregular faces. The fusiform face area may play a role in this process, but there is not much specific literature on the topic.
ally
Hi!

So my question is: how to human brains detect false irregularities in faces? With false irregularities in faces I mean aspects of for example deepfake faces or photoshopped faces which show irregularities that are not normal to appear in an observed human face (for example weird lines around eyebrows in deepfakes or colour irregularities in the face).

Are there specific brain regions that are used when such irregularities are observed by the human during facial perception? Maybe someone can send a link to relevant papers (I'm really struggling to find them myself)?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
I think these days, if you can tell it's an AI generated face, it's amateur hour in graphics-land. That may not be true for deepfakes of people you recognize, like movie stars, but given nothing more than a picture with no other knowledge of who the picture is of I doubt you could tell that a good AI generated image is not a real person.

There is literature on deepfake identification using AI or other methods:
alternate method with neural network technology
"Detecting Deepfake-Forged Contents with Separable Convolutional Neural Network and Image Segmentation"
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.12184

I do not see much on how humans detect them, or even if detection is 100%.

The point being you may be able to 'reverse engineer' one of the alternate methods back to a paper that deals with humans. Pubmed frequently has a link to who referenced the current paper. Impact is another way.

On a more superficial level wikipedia has links to get you started, example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepfake
leads to:
https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/06/18/researchers-use-facial-quirks-to-unmask-deepfakes/

Someone else may have more direct knowledge - best I can do.

jim mcnamara said:
There is literature on deepfake identification using AI or other methods:
alternate method with neural network technology
"Detecting Deepfake-Forged Contents with Separable Convolutional Neural Network and Image Segmentation"
https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.12184

I do not see much on how humans detect them, or even if detection is 100%.

The point being you may be able to 'reverse engineer' one of the alternate methods back to a paper that deals with humans. Pubmed frequently has a link to who referenced the current paper. Impact is another way.

On a more superficial level wikipedia has links to get you started, example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepfake
leads to:
https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/06/18/researchers-use-facial-quirks-to-unmask-deepfakes/

Someone else may have more direct knowledge - best I can do.

Thanks for the response :).

I'm doing my bachelor thesis in Artificial Intelligence about deepfake detection so I know about how deepfakes are being created and being detected artificially currently. But I'm curious about the specific brain regions humans use to detect such irregularities like how artificial methods for example look at the difference in illuminants between face centre and the face area around it. I assume it takes place in the fusiform face area, but can't find any specific literature about how humans distinguish those visible false irregularities from normal human faces. Maybe someone has an idea?

1. How does the human brain recognize faces?

The human brain recognizes faces through a complex process that involves the fusiform gyrus, a specialized area in the brain responsible for facial recognition. This area receives information from the eyes and processes it to identify familiar faces.

2. What are false irregularities in faces?

False irregularities in faces refer to features or patterns that may appear to be abnormal or different from the norm, but are actually within the range of normal variations. These can include asymmetry, moles, or scars that may make a face appear unique, but do not necessarily indicate a medical condition.

3. How does the brain detect false irregularities in faces?

The brain detects false irregularities in faces by comparing the features of a face to its stored knowledge of what a "normal" face should look like. If a feature is outside of this range of normality, the brain may perceive it as a false irregularity.

4. Can the brain be trained to detect false irregularities in faces?

Yes, the brain can be trained to detect false irregularities in faces through exposure to a wide range of faces and their variations. This helps the brain develop a more accurate understanding of what is considered normal and reduces the likelihood of perceiving false irregularities.

5. Are there any disorders that affect the brain's ability to detect false irregularities in faces?

Yes, there are disorders that can affect the brain's ability to detect false irregularities in faces, such as prosopagnosia (face blindness). This disorder impairs the ability to recognize faces, including false irregularities, and is often caused by damage to the fusiform gyrus or other areas of the brain involved in facial recognition.