How do I antiderivate \frac{8x^2}{x^2+2}?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem related to antiderivatives. The participants suggest using polynomial long division and integrating term-by-term, ultimately arriving at the correct solution of 8x - 16/(x^2+2). There is also a brief discussion about using the correct terminology in English for differentiation and integration.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I got problem to antiderivate \(\displaystyle \frac{8x^2}{x^2+2}\)

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably go for polynomial long division here. What do you get?

Ackbach said:
I would probably go for polynomial long division here. What do you get?
I get \(\displaystyle 8- \frac{16}{x^2+2}\) it should be correct.

Petrus said:
I get \(\displaystyle 8- \frac{16}{x^2+2}\) it should be correct.

That's what I get, too. And you can check it by simply getting a common denominator and adding back up. So where do you go from here?

Ackbach said:
That's what I get, too. And you can check it by simply getting a common denominator and adding back up. So where do you go from here?
I only get .. \(\displaystyle 8x-\frac{8}{x}\ln(x^2+2)\) and that is wrong

One simple technique that you can use is adding and subtracting

\(\displaystyle \frac{8x^2+16-16 }{x^2+2}= \frac{8(x^2+2) - 16}{x^2+2}\)

Now separate to get

\(\displaystyle \frac{8(x^2+2) - 16}{x^2+2} = \frac{8(x^2+2)}{x^2+2} -\frac{16}{x^2+2}=8-\frac{16}{x^2+2}\)

Now , you should use \(\displaystyle \tan ^{-1}\) to integrate it

Petrus said:
I only get .. \(\displaystyle \frac{8}{x}\ln(x^2+2)\) and that is wrong

You have to integrate term-by-term now. You have
$$\int \left( 8- \frac{16}{x^{2}+2} \right)dx
=\int 8 \, dx-16 \int \frac{dx}{x^{2}+2}.$$
Surely you can do the first one. Can you recognize what the second one is?

[EDIT] Prove It saw a mistake in this post, so I have edited out the mistake.

Last edited:
Ackbach said:
$$\int \left( 8- \frac{16}{x^{2}+2} \right)dx
=\int 8 \, dx-16 \int \frac{dx}{x^{2}+2}.$$
\(\displaystyle 8x-\frac{16}{\sqrt{2}}\arctan(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}})-16C\) is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Petrus said:
\(\displaystyle 8x-\frac{16}{\sqrt{2}}\arctan(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}})+C\) is that correct?

You don't have to ask me! Differentiate it and see if you get the original integrand back. By the way (that is, I'm not commenting on the correctness of your answer, merely on its typesetting), I would probably code your answer up as
$$8x-\frac{16}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1} \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} \right)+C.$$

I prefer $\tan^{-1}$ to $\arctan$, because the notation tells me a little more clearly that this function is the function inverse of $\tan$. Also, I like to use \left and \right to help make the parentheses a better size.

Last edited:
Hello.
I get same answer when I derivate so it's correct! This just show that I should train more antiderivate/derivate! Better early then later!:)

Regards,

Petrus said:
Hello.
I get same answer when I derivate so it's correct! This just show that I should train more antiderivate/derivate! Better early then later!:)

Regards,

The more correct words in English are that you "get the same answer when you differentiate". Better words are "differentiate" and "anti-differentiate" or better yet, "integrate".

Ackbach said:
The more correct words in English are that you "get the same answer when you differentiate". Better words are "differentiate" and "anti-differentiate" or better yet, "integrate".
Hello Ackbach,
Thanks for correcting me:) In swedish we say 'Derivera' that's why I always say 'Derivate'. I will try remember its called differentiate in english

Regards,

Ackbach said:
$$\int \left( x- \frac{16}{x^{2}+2} \right)dx
=\int x \, dx-16 \int \frac{dx}{x^{2}+2}.$$

No, the integral was actually \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int{8 - \frac{16}{x^2 + 2}\,dx} \).

Prove It said:
No, the integral was actually \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int{8 - \frac{16}{x^2 + 2}\,dx} \).

You're quite right. Thanks for the catch! I'll edit previous posts to reflect that fact.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is a mathematical function that is the reverse of a derivative. It is also known as the indefinite integral of a function.

2. How is an antiderivative related to a derivative?

An antiderivative and a derivative are inverse operations. A derivative tells us the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while an antiderivative tells us the original function from which the derivative was taken.

3. How do you find an antiderivative?

To find an antiderivative, you can use integration techniques such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. These techniques involve manipulating the function to find a simpler function whose derivative is the original function.

4. Are all functions guaranteed to have an antiderivative?

No, not all functions have an antiderivative. Some functions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions, do not have an elementary antiderivative. In these cases, we use more advanced techniques such as numerical integration.

5. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite antiderivative?

A definite antiderivative has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite antiderivative does not have limits and gives a general expression for the antiderivative.