How do I block high pitched noise from a nearby dryer vent?

• Thread starter joni2b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi Member
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a high pitched noise coming from a dryer vent outside of the speaker's second story bedroom window. The city has deemed the sound to fall within permitted levels, causing the speaker to seek advice on how to block the noise in their home. Moving and hanging clothes outside are suggested as potential solutions, and the discussion also touches on the impact of consistent noise on one's well-being.
joni2b
I have never found sound to be a problem until now.
I live on a street where, with the exception of cars, the side walks and the street are unobstructed concrete. My second story bedroom window directly faces a dryer vent that sits at street level across the street. The dryer, when on, produces a high pitched noise that is audible when you are outside. The city where I live came out and measured the sound of the (empty) dryer and the sound fell below the threshold of ‘permitted’ noise. However, when you are in my bedroom, the sound is quite audible. This high pitched noise not only penetrates my home but is loud enough to record on my cell phone and wakes me up at night. This noise fills my home. Ear plugs are so so and closing the windows tight does not diminish the sound.

I have tried working with the people who own the dryer but they are most uncooperative. It seems they believe I am preposterous and they consider the matter closed.

How can I block this noise? The windows in my room are bay windows that take up a good portion of the wall. Surely this problem is not unique to me, and I am interested in hearing on the nature of high pitched sound and how to counteract it so I can have peace and quiet back in my home!

Physics news on Phys.org
joni2b said:
I have never found sound to be a problem until now.
I live on a street where, with the exception of cars, the side walks and the street are unobstructed concrete. My second story bedroom window directly faces a dryer vent that sits at street level across the street. The dryer, when on, produces a high pitched noise that is audible when you are outside. The city where I live came out and measured the sound of the (empty) dryer and the sound fell below the threshold of ‘permitted’ noise. However, when you are in my bedroom, the sound is quite audible. This high pitched noise not only penetrates my home but is loud enough to record on my cell phone and wakes me up at night. This noise fills my home. Ear plugs are so so and closing the windows tight does not diminish the sound.

I have tried working with the people who own the dryer but they are most uncooperative. It seems they believe I am preposterous and they consider the matter closed.

How can I block this noise? The windows in my room are bay windows that take up a good portion of the wall. Surely this problem is not unique to me, and I am interested in hearing on the nature of high pitched sound and how to counteract it so I can have peace and quiet back in my home!

What's a dryer? I have a feeling that the word is not translating correctly. A dryer to me means a washing machine and dryer in a laundromat or in a home.

Also, is moving a reasonable possibility? In my apartment complex, there are some units that face the parking lot, the outside street, and the garbage dumpsters. Those units must be incredibly noisy -- there is no way I could live in them. If I somehow ended up in one of them, I'd ask the management to please help me move to an interior-facing apartment, or I'd just move to a different apartment complex. :smile:

berkeman said:
What's a dryer? I have a feeling that the word is not translating correctly. A dryer to me means a washing machine and dryer in a laundromat or in a home.
https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/appliances/whiteware-appliances/clothes-dryers/c8002-c100007-c00309-p1.html

EDIT: however you can purchase a washing machine/dryer combined, also.

However in NZ it not uncommon for people to hang their clothes on a clothing line.

Last edited:
Likes Evo
StevieTNZ said:
https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/appliances/whiteware-appliances/clothes-dryers/c8002-c100007-c00309-p1.html

EDIT: however you can purchase a washing machine/dryer combined, also.

However in NZ it not uncommon for people to hang their clothes on a clothing line.

Whats a clothing line? :smile:

jedishrfu said:
Whats a clothing line?
I'd assume it's a clothes line.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Sound becomes disturbing when voice becomes high pitched. A voice with consistent noise is also becomes disturbing after some time. It is very necessary to avoid the consistent noise. This can even cause headache for the noisy reasons. Noise should always be kept outside and not given a chance to penetrate.

1. How do I know if the noise is coming from the dryer vent?

The first step is to locate the source of the noise. If you suspect that it is coming from your dryer vent, you can try turning off the dryer and see if the noise stops. You can also listen carefully for the direction of the sound to determine if it is coming from the vent.

2. Can I just cover the vent to block the noise?

Covering the vent completely is not recommended as it can cause damage to your dryer and potentially create a fire hazard. It is important to ensure proper ventilation for your dryer to function safely and efficiently. Instead, try using soundproofing materials or insulating the vent to reduce the noise.

3. What materials can I use to block the noise?

There are various materials that can be used to block high pitched noise from a nearby dryer vent. Some options include soundproofing foam, acoustic panels, or even heavy curtains. It is important to choose materials that are fire-resistant and safe for indoor use.

4. Is there a permanent solution to block the noise?

If the noise from the dryer vent is a recurring issue, it may be worth investing in a permanent solution. This could include installing a muffler or soundproof box around the vent, or relocating the vent to a less disruptive location. Consult a professional for the best solution for your specific situation.

5. Can I just ignore the noise from the dryer vent?

While it may be tempting to ignore the noise, it is important to address it as soon as possible. Not only can the high pitched noise be annoying and disruptive, it could also be a sign of a larger issue with your dryer. Ignoring the noise could lead to further damage and potentially costly repairs in the future.