How do I calculate an area of joint uniform distribution with domain

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform joint density function for the lifetimes of two components, T1 and T2, which have a triangular region with an area of L^2/2. The density is uniform and must sum to one over the region, leading to a fraction of (L^2)/2-1. The conversation also mentions the possibility of extending this concept to a 3D space with three components, T1, T2, and T3, where the volume would be L^3 divided by something. Integration can be used to find the volume of the 3D shape.
mattclgn
This technically isn't a coursework or homework problem:

I have a uniform Joint density function for the lifetimes of two components, let's call them T1 and T2. They have a uniform joint density function, both are positive it follows, and the region is 0<t1<t2<L and L is some positive constant.

So it said the domain has area (L^2)/2 following from this, Density is 1/(((L^2)/2)-1) or uniform density. I have no idea how to get that and area. Can someone help explain? I think I get that since joint I treat one as y and other x i multiply both densities but not really sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
From that fact that 0 < T1 < T2 < L, this defines a triangular region (let T1 = x, T2 = y) that is half a L x L square. So the area of this region is L^2/2.
The density is uniform, and must sum to one over the region.

The density you posted ##\frac{ 1}{ \frac{L^2}{2} -1} = \frac { \frac1A}{ 1 - \frac 1A }. ## where A = L^2/2, the area of the region.

I know that this is related to the condition that x < y, but I will need to look into it a little bit more to explain why.

Likes mattclgn
RUber said:
From that fact that 0 < T1 < T2 < L, this defines a triangular region (let T1 = x, T2 = y) that is half a L x L square. So the area of this region is L^2/2.
The density is uniform, and must sum to one over the region.

The density you posted ##\frac{ 1}{ \frac{L^2}{2} -1} = \frac { \frac1A}{ 1 - \frac 1A }. ## where A = L^2/2, the area of the region.

I know that this is related to the condition that x < y, but I will need to look into it a little bit more to explain why.
Awesome, thank you, and i apologize for the lateness of this reply...so by that rationale if it was 0 < T1 < T2 <T3< L, do I divide by three?

mattclgn said:
Awesome, thank you, and i apologize for the lateness of this reply...so by that rationale if it was 0 < T1 < T2 <T3< L, do I divide by three?
You will be in a 3D space, so you would expect L^3 divided by something. Drawing it out helps, but may lead to the wrong guess for the fraction of the cube in your feasible region.
You can also integrate to see the volume of the 3D shape.
##\int_0^L\int_0^{T3}\int_0^{T2} 1 dT1 dT2 dT3##
Note that if you did the same integral in xy, you get L^2/2.

1. How do I calculate the area of a joint uniform distribution with a given domain?

The area of a joint uniform distribution with a given domain can be calculated by first determining the limits of the domain. These limits will define the boundaries of the rectangular region in which the distribution is defined. Once the limits are determined, the area can be calculated by taking the product of the length and width of the rectangular region.

2. What is a joint uniform distribution?

A joint uniform distribution is a probability distribution where all values within a given domain have an equal chance of occurring. This means that the probability of any value within the domain is constant and the shape of the distribution is rectangular.

3. How is a joint uniform distribution different from a standard uniform distribution?

A standard uniform distribution has a single variable and a constant probability for all values within a given range. A joint uniform distribution, on the other hand, has multiple variables and each variable has a constant probability within a given rectangular region.

4. Can the area of a joint uniform distribution be negative?

No, the area of a joint uniform distribution cannot be negative. Since the probability of any value within the domain is constant, the area of the distribution will always be positive.

5. How can I visualize a joint uniform distribution?

A joint uniform distribution can be visualized as a rectangular region with equal probability throughout. This can be represented graphically with a 2-dimensional plot, where the x-axis represents one variable and the y-axis represents the other variable. The rectangular region can also be represented with a contour plot or a surface plot.