How do I calculate internal forces in a beam bending problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining internal forces in a beam bending situation. The suggested approach is to use the equation M = EI*d2y/dx2 and the relationship between bending moment and internal force, F = dM/dx. By integrating the bending moment from x=0 to x=L, the total internal force at point C can be calculated. From there, the individual forces at points A and B can be determined by subtracting the force due to tension in the cable.
egikm
Hello,
I am having difficulties trying to work out one problem. I've attached a picture explaining the situation - the task is to determine internal forces in C but the bending moment M(x) doesn't seem to get me the correct results (I used equivalance and went from LHS). I would greatly appreciate if somebody helped me construct a correct equation or find the mistake, thank you.

Attachments

• 17505740_10203015214858814_1730175157_n.jpg
    17505740_10203015214858814_1730175157_n.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 508
Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem you are trying to solve is a classic beam bending problem. The basic equation for a beam in bending is M = EI*d2y/dx2, where M is the bending moment, E is Young's modulus, I is the moment of inertia, and dy/dx is the slope of the beam at any point along its length.

In your case, you need to solve for the internal forces in C. To do this, you will need to use the relationship between the bending moment, M, and the internal force, F, which is given by the equation F = dM/dx.

Using this equation, you can calculate the internal forces in C by integrating the bending moment M(x) from x=0 to x=L:

F(C) = ∫M(x)dx from x=0 to x=L

This will give you the total internal force at point C due to the bending moment.

Once you have this value, you can then calculate the individual forces at points A and B by subtracting the force due to the tension in the cable.

Hope this helps!

1. What is bending moment in computing and why is it important?

Bending moment is a measure of the internal force or stress that a structural element experiences when it is subjected to an external load. In computing, it is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how different materials and structures will behave under different loads, and allows for the design of safe and efficient structures.

2. How is bending moment calculated?

Bending moment is calculated by multiplying the force acting on a structure by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This calculation takes into account the distribution of forces and the material properties of the structure.

3. What factors affect bending moment?

The main factors that affect bending moment are the type and magnitude of external loads, the geometry and material properties of the structure, and the support conditions. Other factors such as temperature and vibrations can also influence bending moment.

4. How does bending moment impact structural design?

Bending moment plays a crucial role in structural design as it determines the maximum stress and deflection that a structure will experience. This information is used to select suitable materials, optimize the structure's geometry, and ensure that it can withstand the expected loads without failure.

5. What are some common applications of computing bending moment?

Bending moment calculations are used in a wide range of applications, including the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in the analysis of mechanical components, such as beams and columns, and in the development of new materials for various industries.