How do I Calculate Normal and Applied Forces on a Branch Wheeled System?

In summary, the three forces on a branch with wheels are 1000N, NForceA, and NForceB. It is not possible to sum these forces to zero, and the system must be able to solve by ratios and sin angles.
losbellos
Dear Physics lover friends,

theproblem.gif

I am in the middle of something and I would like to ask a question on how to solve this branch wheeled problem.
The yellow lines are the branches, they have one wheels on them and the wheels are on a circular path.
I would like to know how much the normal force A and B and how much are the force A and force B.

Could you lease elaborate?
Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
Inspecting the drawing suggests that the three forces (1000N, NForceA and NForceB) can't sum to zero. For example the 1000N force is horizontal and both the NForces have downward vertical components. So either there is another force missing or the assembly must be accelerating. I might be wrong but I don't think you can solve it without more info.

Likes russ_watters
Hej, that might be that the system accels, but I believe that it is possible to zero it out, maybe by putting more wheels.
Actually on the end If I make sure the calculus is right I will try to convert it to a system that it will generate zeroed systems.

If I have only one arm that's easy I believe because the normal angle and the north angle can tell the normal components length (how much force it actually holds) and then the remaining force could generate some torque from the big circle's centerpoint (from the midponint not because there is no angle there)

So have you got any suggestions?

The problem is I think you need to need to know it's mass in order to calculate the normal forces you asked about.

If you add more wheels I think you have a problem calculating how the load is shared between them. I think it depends on how the frame flexes. eg It becomes statically indeterminate.

Last edited:
I would set up a Lagrangian. Use 1000 times the horizontal position of the branch for your potential. Use an angular coordinate or two for the position of the wheels. Your KE is a function only of the derivative of the angular position. Then put in constraints for the arms and wall. Solve the Lagrangian and get your constraint forces.

please can you be more specific? I mean please only answer if you know the answer.
This system must be able to solve by ratios and sin angles.

Thanks anyways!

[[Moderator's note: Per this request, the level of the thread has been changed from "A" to "B", and several off-topic posts discussing the appropriate level have been removed]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do I Calculate Normal and Applied Forces on a Branch Wheeled System?

What is the problem with wheels and arms?

The problem with wheels and arms is that they are not easily compatible with each other. While wheels are designed for efficient movement on flat surfaces, arms are designed for dexterity and manipulation of objects. This makes it challenging to create a mechanism that can effectively integrate both functions.

Why is it difficult to combine wheels and arms?

Combining wheels and arms requires careful engineering and design to ensure that both functions can be performed effectively without compromising the other. It also involves finding a balance between weight, size, and power consumption, as adding arms to a wheeled structure can significantly increase its weight and energy requirements.

Are there any existing solutions to this problem?

Yes, there are existing solutions to this problem, such as robotic arms mounted on a wheeled base. However, these solutions are often limited in their capabilities and may not be suitable for all situations. Additionally, they may be costly and require advanced programming and control systems.

What are some potential applications for combining wheels and arms?

The combination of wheels and arms can have various applications, such as in mobile robots for search and rescue missions, agricultural tasks, manufacturing and logistics operations, and even in space exploration. It can also be useful in creating assistive devices for individuals with mobility impairments.

What are some future developments in this field?

Researchers and engineers are continuously working on improving the integration of wheels and arms, such as developing more advanced control systems and materials that can withstand the demands of both functions. There are also efforts to create more versatile and adaptable mechanisms that can switch between wheeled and arm movements seamlessly. Additionally, advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning may lead to more autonomous and efficient systems in the future.