Guide Wheel Forces in Circular Motion - Loads on Guide Wheels

• Thread starter George Zucas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheels
In summary, the force on the guide wheels is very small and does not correct for the circular motion.
George Zucas
Dear friends,

I have an application where a cart of some sort travels on a circular path. The circular direction is assured by guide wheels on the structure. Please see the attached photo which is pretty much the same as in my case.

My problem is the forces on these guide wheels during circular motion.

First, I thought this is simply a case of circular motion. The force that holds a swinging rock connected to a rope on the path is the centripetal force which is the tension in the rope. In my case this is the force applied by the guide wheels.

Calculating this results a pretty much infinitesimal force with respect to the other forces involved.

mV^2/R= (100000kg)(0.5m/s)^2/25m= 1000 N

Which I think cannot be true. For carts along a linear path, the skewing force is generally taken as 10-15% of the gravitational force which would be in this case (100000 kg)* (9.81m/s^2)*0.1=981000 N. IF the above were true, then this would be a huge overestimation. The force in this case should be even higher since on a linear path the force only makes a correction to ensure linearity, while this force rotates the cart completely.

My second thought is simply drawing a free body diagram, there is no force on the tangential direction since it is a constant speed motion. The net force is the centripetal force which is 1000 N, then the forces on the guide wheels should also be 1000 N. Same result since I did the same thing I have realized.

Any guidance? I think I'm looking at it completely wrong but cannot think of any other solution.

Attachments

• guide wheeeel.jpg
    guide wheeeel.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I see no error in your 1000 N calculation. (I do see (100000 kg)* (9.81m/s^2)*0.1=98100 N, not 981000).
Apparently this is a slow turn: 5 minutes per revolution isn't like a centrifuge (fortunately in your case).

Likes George Zucas
Are the turns flat? Banked?

Likes George Zucas
Thanks BVU, though in that case I'm going to ask why the standard advises to take skewing forces on linear path as 10% of the vertical wheel load. Though I'll need to find the exact phrase, I'll take a look when I get home.

CWatters said:
Are the turns flat? Banked?

Not banked. Flat turns.

George Zucas said:
cart of some sort travels on a circular path
Sloshing liquids ? High center of mass ? Overhang ? Tourists all leaning to one side ? Gun turret ? We really can't give a general answer, so more context is indicated !

Likes George Zucas and Bystander
BvU said:
Sloshing liquids ? High center of mass ? Overhang ? Tourists all leaning to one side ? Gun turret ? We really can't give a general answer, so more context is indicated !

It is pretty much the same as this one:

http://www.rail-cart.com/d/pic/aluminium-coil-car.jpg

Though all 4 wheels can rotate like the front wheels of a regular car and are directed by the guide wheels.

I cannot find the standard text which mentions the 10% rule but I am pretty sure I have seen it. Maybe somewhere else.

Do you know how much 100000 kg of Aluminum is ? A bit more than three rolls ! Still, a mere 1000 N to make the described turn at 0.5 m/s ...

Likes George Zucas
BvU said:
Do you know how much 100000 kg of Aluminum is ? A bit more than three rolls ! Still, a mere 1000 N to make the described turn at 0.5 m/s ...

It is not aluminum but steel so not that big. I have designed carts with 300T capacity though they were on flat tracks.

Yeah I guess the speed being only 0.5 m/s helps a lot. If it was traveling at 2m/s the force would be 16 times higher, though still it would not be a big problem.

I hesitate to put this in a calculation report now, it is a miniscule amount. I also think that guide wheels designs seem overengineered what with double bearings and all...

As I recall wheels and track are usually profiled so the carriage centers itself reducing the rubbing between flange and track. I think this profile cause outward pressure on the rails although if anything I think it would reduce the load on the guide wheels.

Likes George Zucas

1. What are guide wheel forces in circular motion?

Guide wheel forces in circular motion refer to the forces acting on the guide wheels of a vehicle or object moving in a circular path. These forces are necessary for maintaining the stability and control of the vehicle during circular motion.

2. What factors affect the loads on guide wheels?

The loads on guide wheels are affected by several factors, including the weight and mass of the vehicle or object, the speed and radius of the circular motion, and the friction between the guide wheels and the surface they are moving on.

3. Why is it important to understand guide wheel forces in circular motion?

Understanding guide wheel forces in circular motion is important for designing and operating vehicles or objects that move in circular paths. It allows for proper distribution of weight, selection of appropriate guide wheel materials, and implementation of safety measures to prevent accidents.

4. How can guide wheel forces be calculated?

Guide wheel forces can be calculated by using the principles of circular motion, including centripetal force and Newton's laws of motion. The weight and mass of the vehicle or object, as well as the speed and radius of the circular motion, are also important factors in calculating the guide wheel forces.

5. What are some common challenges faced in dealing with guide wheel forces in circular motion?

Some common challenges faced with guide wheel forces in circular motion include maintaining the stability of the vehicle or object, ensuring equal distribution of weight on all guide wheels, and reducing friction to prevent excessive wear and tear on the guide wheels. Additionally, factors such as changes in speed or radius during circular motion can also affect the guide wheel forces and require adjustments to be made.