How do I calculate percent elasticity?

In summary, the question asks for the percent elasticity of different collisions. The student is unfamiliar with the concept of elasticity and turns to the internet for help. However, they are unable to find an answer.
xxyourstruly

Homework Statement

I was given a chart to figure out the different momentum and kinetic energies of different collisions (elastic and inelastic) and in the lab he posed the question "Calculate the percent elasticity for each of the collisions."

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum and energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I have never heard of this question before and have looked through all of my notes. Finding nothing, I turned to the internet and searched for "percent elasticity," "how to calculate percent elasticity," and multiple other relevant phrases to the problem. Nothing has come up so far and I'm not sure how to approach the question. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How are elastic collisions different from inelastic collisions?

AlephNumbers said:
How are elastic collisions different from inelastic collisions?
Elastic collisions occur when objects of whatever mass or velocity collide and propel apart from each other with the exact same momentum and energy as the initial momentum and energy (p=p' and E=E'). Inelastic collisions are when objects of whatever mass or velocity collide and 'stick' together. For example, two tennis balls with Velcro stick together when they collide. In this system, energy is lost.

Right! Energy is not conserved in inelastic collisions. Think of a collision in which energy is conserved. This case could be described as being 100% elastic, right? Alternatively, think of a case in which the collision is completely inelastic. This case could be described as being 0% elastic. The final kinetic energy of the system is not zero, but the elasticity is still 0%.

Well, actually, the kinetic energy is not conserved. Energy is always conserved. Some of it just goes into heat or sound or what have you.

AlephNumbers said:
Right! Energy is not conserved in inelastic collisions. Think of a collision in which energy is conserved. This case could be described as being 100% elastic, right? Alternatively, think of a case in which the collision is completely inelastic. This case could be described as being 0% elastic. The final kinetic energy of the system is not zero, but the elasticity is still 0%.
Okay, yeah that makes sense! Thank you so much!

Related to How do I calculate percent elasticity?

1. How do I calculate percent elasticity?

To calculate percent elasticity, you need to first determine the original price and quantity of a product or service. Then, using the new price and quantity, plug these values into the formula: (Change in quantity / Original quantity) / (Change in price / Original price) x 100. This will give you the percent elasticity.

2. What is the significance of calculating percent elasticity?

Calculating percent elasticity helps businesses and economists understand the responsiveness of consumers to changes in price. It can also help determine the optimal price for a product or service, and forecast potential changes in demand.

3. How is percent elasticity different from price elasticity of demand?

Percent elasticity is a measure of the percentage change in quantity demanded in response to a percentage change in price. Price elasticity of demand, on the other hand, measures the magnitude of change in quantity demanded in response to a change in price.

4. What factors can affect percent elasticity?

Several factors can affect percent elasticity, including the availability of substitutes, the necessity of the product, and the proportion of the consumer's budget allocated to the product. Other factors such as income level, brand loyalty, and time frame for price changes can also impact percent elasticity.

5. Can percent elasticity be negative?

Yes, percent elasticity can be negative. This indicates an inverse relationship between price and demand. In other words, as the price of a product increases, the quantity demanded decreases. This is commonly seen in luxury goods or products with readily available substitutes.