How do I calculate the diameter of the sun's image using two lenses in optics?

In summary, an astronomer uses a lens to form an image of the sun on a white screen. If the angular width of the sun is 0.5 degrees, the diameter of the sun's image is 0.5 ftan 0.5. At night, the astronomer uses the same lens to collect light from some stars, but not the screen is no longer used. The eyepiece lens has a focal length of 20mm, and the pair of lenses is an astronomical telescope. Assuming that the instrument is to be used with a relaxed eye, determine from a suitably labelled ray diagram the angular magnification effected by the telescope's optics. Is the final image erect or inverted?
T7
Hi,

I have an optics Q here I'm not quite sure about:-

a.) An astronomers uses a single thin lens of focal length 0.5m to form a sharp image of the sun on a white screen. If the angular width of the sun is 0.5 degrees, what is the diameter of the sun's image.

b.) At night the astronomer uses the same lens to collect light from some stars, but not the screen is no longer used, and the light it permitted to pass through where the screen had been and through an eyepiece lens that acts as a magnifying glass to view the stars' images. The eyepiece lens has a focal length of 20mm, and the pair of lenses is an astronomical telescope. Assuming that the instrument is to be used with a relaxed eye, determine from a suitably labelled ray diagram the angular magnification effected by the telescope's optics. Is the final image erect or inverted?​

For the first part I would say that, at that distance, the rays from the sun striking the lens will be parallel to one another and will converge at some point from the lens equal in distance to the focal length of the lens, forming an image of height h. I presume I could then say that tan 0.5 = h / f, so the diameter is ftan 0.5.

For the second part, however, another lens is introduced. Am I to suppose that the image formed by the first is striking the second at a distance of 0m (?!)

I'm not entirely sure where to go from there to finish off the Q. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can give some hints:

1. The first lense is the second lense's focal point
2. "To be used by a relaxed eye" means that b (the distanse from the stars to the lins should be [tex]\infty[/tex] (infinity)
3. The astronomical telescope consist of 2 positive lenses and is also known as a Kepler telescope, try and google that for the ray diagram

Last edited:
1. The image of the sun will for in the focal plane of the lens. Also the angle that it subtends (the image) is the same angle as the real sun - see the attachment. So you are correct in saying that [itex]\tan(0.5^o)=\frac{d}{f}[/itex].

Last edited:
The rays from the star falling on the objective will actually be parallel to each other if the drawing was to scale. Again the image forms at the focal plane of the objective. The statement "used with a relaxed eye" implies that the final rays emerging from the eyepiece need to be parallel giving an image at infinity. The first image formed by the objective therefore needs to be in the focal plane of the eyepiece to accomplish this.

Attachments

• astronomical telescope.gif
    astronomical telescope.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 563
Ah, now I see.

Thanks folks. :smile:

1. What is the formula for finding the focal length of two lenses in contact?

The formula for finding the combined focal length (f) of two lenses in contact is: 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2, where f1 and f2 are the individual focal lengths of the lenses.

2. How do I determine the magnification of an object when viewed through two lenses?

To determine the magnification of an object when viewed through two lenses, you can use the formula: m = -f1/f2, where f1 is the focal length of the first lens and f2 is the focal length of the second lens.

3. Can two convex lenses in contact ever produce a virtual image?

No, two convex lenses in contact can never produce a virtual image. This is because both lenses converge light rays, and when in contact, they would only further converge the light, making it impossible for the light rays to diverge and form a virtual image.

4. How do I calculate the distance between two lenses in order to form a specific image?

To calculate the distance between two lenses in order to produce a specific image, you can use the formula: d = f2(1-m)/m, where f2 is the focal length of the second lens and m is the desired magnification.

5. What is the difference between the object distance and the image distance in a two lens system?

The object distance is the distance from the object to the first lens in a two lens system, while the image distance is the distance from the final image to the second lens. These distances are important in determining the magnification and focal length of the lenses.