How do I calculate the output current of an alternator

In summary, when it comes to alternators, the output voltage is proportional to the rotor excitation current and the load resistance remains constant. However, the alternator's impedance is mostly inductive, not resistive, so Ohm's law must take into account phase angles. To determine the synchronous impedance, the excitation must be locked at a rated value and then the internal voltage and short-circuit current must be measured. This impedance can be used to predict alternator behavior, but in automotive applications, the voltage regulator adjusts the excitation to keep the output voltage constant, causing the alternator to appear to not follow Ohm's law. Overall, there is some debate about whether alternators truly follow Ohm's law and it may
torbor
Do alternators obey Ohm’s law? The alternator output voltage is proportional to the rotor excitation current. When reducing rotor excitation, the output voltage drops and the load resistance stays constant. Can why still use ohm law to determine the output current.

Example alternator 480 v / 4 ohm current output is 120 a if why now reduce rotor excitation output voltage drops tu 220 v / 4 ohm output current is 55 a can why calculete like this.

Another example is car alternator have 900 w of pawer tu give that pawer with 13.7 v output current is 65 a and load resistance is 0.21077 this all calculation are based on ohm low.

Can why calculate like this of course every equipment must support rated current

also i understand principle of impedance can why calculate a show i above examples

if why can apply ohm's law tu alternator haw why can determinant output current

i am really confused about this because i am always thought that resistance determine the current same people say they alternator does not follow ohm law ok but haw then calculate current output and load itself

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are correct. You are applying ohm's law to the load resistor.

Have you studied anything about AC circuits ? Do you know the difference between resistance and inductive reactance ?

There's a concept called "Synchronous Impedance" that you should look up.

Impedance of an alternator is mostly inductive not resistive .

So your Ohm's Law must take into account the phase angles.

To determine synchronous impedance
1..Lock excitation at some value, probably rated for normal operating condition
then
2. With no load connected measure circuit voltage. That's Vinternal
3. Short circuit the output and measure how much current flows.

Divide result of EDIT result of 2 by result of 3, volts by amps..
You'll get the "Synchronous Impedance" for that alternator.
That many ohms of inductive reactance in series with Vinternal is the equivalent circuit of your alternator.
You can use that to predict alternator behavior if you know what is its excitation.

Remain aware that in automotive applications the voltage regulator adjusts excitation to keep output voltage constant.
So the alternator will appear to not follow Ohm's law .
That is probably what "same people" are telling you, is my guess.

What do you think ?

old jim

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
torbor said:
same people say they alternator does not follow ohm law ok but
Who are these people by the way? Your professor(s)? I remember one of my junior college professors saying 'transformer is an exception to Ohm's law.'

1. What is an alternator?

An alternator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is commonly found in vehicles and is responsible for charging the battery and powering the electrical systems.

2. How do I calculate the output current of an alternator?

The output current of an alternator can be calculated by dividing the output power by the output voltage. The output power can be found by multiplying the alternator's torque by its rotational speed. The output voltage can be measured using a voltmeter.

3. What factors affect the output current of an alternator?

The output current of an alternator is affected by its rotational speed, the strength of its magnetic field, the number of coils in its stator, and the resistance of its electrical circuit. Changes in these factors can impact the efficiency and output of an alternator.

4. Can the output current of an alternator be increased?

Yes, the output current of an alternator can be increased by either increasing its rotational speed or by adding more coils to its stator. However, it is important to note that increasing the output current may also cause the alternator to generate more heat and put more strain on the engine.

5. How does the output current of an alternator affect the vehicle's electrical systems?

The output current of an alternator is crucial for powering the vehicle's electrical systems, such as the lights, radio, and charging the battery. If the output current is too low, these systems may not function properly, and if it is too high, it may cause damage to the electrical components.