Does an alternator obey Ohm's law?

In summary, an alternator does not fully obey Ohm's law as it is a complex system that involves both resistance and reactance. While the resistance component follows Ohm's law, the reactance component does not, leading to a non-linear relationship between voltage and current. Additionally, the alternator's output is affected by other factors such as load and temperature, making it difficult to accurately predict using Ohm's law alone.
torbor
Do alternators obey Ohm’s law? The alternator output voltage is proportional to the rotor excitation current. When reducing rotor excitation, the output voltage drops and the load resistance stays constant. Can why still use ohm law to determine the output current.

Example alternator 480 v / 4 ohm current output is 120 a if why now reduce rotor excitation output voltage drops tu 220 v / 4 ohm output current is 55 a can why calculete like this.

Another example is car alternator have 900 w of pawer tu give that pawer with 13.7 v output current is 65 a and load resistance is 0.21077 this all calculation are based on ohm low.

Can why calculate like this of course every equipment must support rated current

also i understand principle of impedance can why calculate a show i above examples

if why can apply ohm's law tu alternator haw why can determinant output current

i am really confused about this because i am always thought that resistance determine the current same people say they alternator does not follow ohm law ok but haw then calculate current output and load itself

Engineering news on Phys.org
torbor said:
Example alternator 480 v / 4 ohm current output is 120 a if why now reduce rotor excitation output voltage drops tu 220 v / 4 ohm output current is 55 a can why calculete like this.
Hi Torbor. :welcome:

The excitation current is a DC current you supply to the alternator to create the electromagnets, and these magnets are spun (on a rotor) inside a set of stationary coils (the stator). The alternating output voltage from the stationary coils will be greater if the electromagnets are supplied with higher current or if they are spun faster.

You must analyze a generator or a motor as part of a closed circuit including the load. Considered alone, with no load, the current is always zero.

One tool you can depend on is conservation of energy. Power produced by a generator must always match power consumed by the load if RPM stays the same. Charge is also conserved, so generator current and load current must also match.

That should help you see why behavior of the generator and behavior of the load must both be considered.

So, if the load on the alternator is a resistance R, then load V=iR must match the generator V and I, if RPM remains constant. If the alternator supplies a load that is not constant resistance, then things will be different.

torbor said:
Do alternators obey Ohm’s law? The alternator output voltage is proportional to the rotor excitation current. When reducing rotor excitation, the output voltage drops and the load resistance stays constant. Can why still use ohm law to determine the output current.

Because Ohm's Law says Current is Volts divided by ohms.
You have defined the values of volts and ohms. That's why you can calculate like this.

torbor said:
i am really confused about this because i am always thought that resistance determine the current same people say they alternator does not follow ohm law ok but haw then calculate current output and load itself

Did you look at the responses to your very similar thread yesterday ? It's at https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-do-i-calculate-the-output-current-of-an-alternator.924471/

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. In other words, the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to the conductor.

2. Does an alternator follow Ohm's Law?

Yes, an alternator follows Ohm's Law. As an electrical device, it is subject to the same principles of electricity as any other conductor. Therefore, the current flowing through an alternator is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it.

3. How does Ohm's Law apply to an alternator?

Ohm's Law applies to an alternator in the same way it applies to any other electrical conductor. The current flowing through the alternator is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it, and this relationship can be described by the equation V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. Are there any exceptions to Ohm's Law in an alternator?

There are a few factors that can affect the application of Ohm's Law in an alternator. For example, the resistance of the alternator's windings may change as the temperature changes, which can alter the current-voltage relationship. Additionally, the alternator's internal diode bridge can cause a non-linear relationship between current and voltage.

5. What are the implications of Ohm's Law for alternator design?

The principles of Ohm's Law are critical in designing an efficient and effective alternator. By understanding the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance, engineers can optimize the design of the alternator's windings and diode bridge to ensure that the alternator operates within safe and efficient parameters.