How do I calculate the work done by a force field using the dot product?

In summary, the problem statement says that the force is related to the path by doing work, but does not say how the work is done.
annamal
Homework Statement
A particle moves along a curved path y = 10*(1 + cos(0.1*x))
from x = 0 to x = 10*pi subject to a tangential force of variable magnitude F = 10*sin(0.1*x)
How much work does the force do?
Relevant Equations
F dot product dr = dW
y = 10*(1 + cos(0.1*x)) --> dy/dx = -sin(0.1x)
dW = F*dx + F*dy = 10*sin(0.1*x)dx + 10*sin(0.1*x)*-sin(0.1x)
integrating we have -100*cos(0.1*x) -10*sin(0.1x)^2 from 0 to 10*pi = W = 43 J. The answer says 257 J. Where am I wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have taken both x- and y-components of the force to be equal to the magnitude of the force.

Yes, how would I split F(x) into x and y components?

I also tried
dW = xdx + F(x)*dy and didn't get the right answer either.

annamal said:
Yes, how would I split F(x) into x and y components?

I also tried
dW = xdx + F(x)*dy and didn't get the right answer either.
Ask yourself if you need to know the components.

Likes nasu
Orodruin said:
Ask yourself if you need to know the components.
I don't know. The only way I wouldn't need the know the components is with |F||r|cos(theta) = |F||r| = F(x)*(sqrt(y^2 + x^2))??

Almost. But it is not ##\vec F\cdot \vec x##, it is ##\vec F \cdot d\vec x## ...

Likes Delta2
annamal said:
I don't know. The only way I wouldn't need the know the components is with |F||r|cos(theta) = |F||r| = F(x)*(sqrt(y^2 + x^2))??
The problem statement does say something about how the force is related to the path, doesn't it ?

SammyS said:
The problem statement does say something about how the force is related to the path, doesn't it ?
Yes, only with x though F = 10*sin(0.1*x). Still don't know how to figure this problem out.

annamal said:
Yes, only with x though F = 10*sin(0.1*x). Still don't know how to figure this problem out.
If it moves dx along the x axis, how far does it move, approximately, in the y direction? What is that movement as a vector?
What is the corresponding vector form of the force?
How much work is done?

It says the force is tangential to the path. Therefore the infinitesimal work dW is equal to the magnitude of the force multiplied by the infinitesimal length dr (no need to take vectors and dot products).Therefore $$dW=Fdr=F\sqrt{dy^2+dx^2}$$

Now replace $$dy=-\sin (0.1x) dx$$ in the above equation and then calculate $$W=\int dW$$

If you want to know where you are wrong, it is in the equation for the infinitesimal work ##dW##. It is $$dW=F_xdx+F_ydy$$ and it is a mini trouble to calculate the components of the force ##F_x,F_y## from the data of the magnitude of the force and from being tangential to the given path.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
Orodruin said:
Almost. But it is not ##\vec F\cdot \vec x##, it is ##\vec F \cdot d\vec x## ...
In order to be perfectly consistent with the notation already used, you should have said "not ##\vec F\cdot \vec r## but ##\vec F\cdot d\vec r##" where ##\vec r## the position vector ##\vec r=x\hat x+y\hat y## and ##d\vec r=dx\hat x+dy\hat y##.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the integral can be set up quite easily by noting that ##\vec F## is in the same direction as the tangential element ##d\vec s## in which case $$dW=F~ds=F\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dy)^2}=Fdx\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}.$$Doing the ensuing integral is a task in itself.

Likes annamal, Delta2, SammyS and 1 other person
kuruman said:
It seems to me that the integral can be set up quite easily by noting that ##\vec F## is in the same direction as the tangential element ##d\vec s## in which case $$dW=F~ds=F\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dy)^2}=Fdx\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}.$$Doing the ensuing integral is a task in itself.
Yes that leads to the correct answer. Thank you!

1. How do I calculate the work done by a force field using the dot product?

In order to calculate the work done by a force field using the dot product, you will need to first determine the magnitude of the force and the displacement vector. Then, you can use the formula W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. The dot product of the force and displacement vectors can also be used to calculate the work done.

2. What is the dot product and how does it relate to calculating work done by a force field?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a scalar quantity. In the context of calculating work done by a force field, the dot product is used to find the component of the force that is in the direction of the displacement, which is necessary for the work calculation.

3. Can the dot product be negative when calculating work done by a force field?

Yes, the dot product can be negative when calculating work done by a force field. This occurs when the angle between the force and displacement vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the cosine of the angle. This indicates that the force is working against the displacement, resulting in a negative work value.

4. What units are used to measure the work done by a force field?

The SI unit for work is joules (J), which is equivalent to 1 newton-meter (N*m). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft*lbs) or calories (cal) may also be used to measure work.

5. Are there any limitations to using the dot product to calculate work done by a force field?

One limitation of using the dot product to calculate work done by a force field is that it only takes into account the component of the force that is in the direction of the displacement. This means that if there are other forces acting on the object that are not in the same direction as the displacement, they will not be accounted for in the work calculation. Additionally, the dot product assumes that the force and displacement vectors are constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.