Using Faraday's Law to calculate the magnetic field

In summary, the electric field is B=-kXE0sin(k⋅r-ωt+φ). To calculate the curl of the electric field, you first need to find ∇X(E0cos(k⋅r-ωt+φ)).
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
Consider an electric field E = E0 cos(k⋅r - ωt +φ), where k is orthogonal to E0, r is a position vector, and φ is a constant phase. Show that B = (k X E0)/ω * cos(k⋅r - ωt +φ) according to Faraday's Law.
Relevant Equations
Faraday's Law: ∇ X E = -∂B/∂t
I got stuck near the beginning, so I tried working backwards. Starting from

B = (k X E0)/ω * cos(k⋅r - ωt +φ)

I found

-∂B/∂t = -k X E0 sin(k⋅r - ωt +φ)

So now I need to find ∇ X (E0 cos(k⋅r - ωt +φ)) and see that it is equal to the above result. This is where I'm stuck though, I'm not sure how to take the curl of this electric field because of that dot product of k and r, leaving the field as a scalar (as far as I can tell). Help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Blanchdog said:
Homework Statement:: Consider an electric field E = E0 cos(k⋅r - ωt +φ), where k is orthogonal to E0, r is a position vector, and φ is a constant phase. Show that B = (k X E0)/ω * cos(k⋅r - ωt +φ) according to Faraday's Law.
Relevant Equations:: Faraday's Law: ∇ X E = -∂B/∂t

I'm not sure how to take the curl of this electric field because of that dot product of k and r, leaving the field as a scalar (as far as I can tell)
Scalar is only the cosine term. The ##\mathbf{E_0}## is a vector though it is constant. You have to use the following vector calculus identity: $$\nabla\times (\mathbf{E_0}f)=(\nabla\times\mathbf{E_0})f+\nabla f\times\mathbf{E_0}$$ where ##f## is your scalar that is $$f=\cos(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega t+\phi)$$
Also because ##\mathbf{E_0}## is a constant vector we have ##\nabla\times\mathbf{E_0}=0## which simplifies further the above identity.
And as I said , scalar is only the cosine term that is ##f##, the product ##\mathbf{E_0}f## is a vector so we are justified to take its curl.

Last edited:
Likes Blanchdog, hutchphd and berkeman
Hi @Blanchdog -- As you can see from the reply by @Delta2 it makes the math much more readable if you use LaTeX to post equations. That is the gold standard at PF.

Please look through the LaTeX Guide link at the bottom left of the Edit window to become familiar with the basics of posting in LaTeX. Thank you. :smile:

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Scalar is only the cosine term. The ##\mathbf{E_0}## is a vector though it is constant. You have to use the following vector calculus identity: $$\nabla\times (\mathbf{E_0}f)=(\nabla\times\mathbf{E_0})f+\nabla f\times\mathbf{E_0}$$ where ##f## is your scalar that is $$f=\cos(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega t+\phi)$$
Also because ##\mathbf{E_0}## is a constant vector we have ##\nabla\times\mathbf{E_0}=0## which simplifies further the above identity.
And as I said , scalar is only the cosine term that is ##f##, the product ##\mathbf{E_0}f## is a vector so we are justified to take its curl.

Thanks Delta2! With that vector identity I was able to prove the relation.

Likes Delta2 and berkeman

1. How does Faraday's Law relate to calculating the magnetic field?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. This means that by measuring the induced EMF, we can calculate the magnetic field strength.

2. What is the equation for using Faraday's Law to calculate the magnetic field?

The equation is B = -ΔΦ/Δt, where B is the magnetic field strength, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time. This equation is also known as the Maxwell-Faraday equation.

3. What units are used for measuring the magnetic field?

The SI unit for magnetic field is Tesla (T). However, it is also commonly measured in Gauss (G) or microtesla (μT).

4. Can Faraday's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space?

No, Faraday's Law can only be used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point if the magnetic flux and time are known for that point. It is more commonly used to calculate the average magnetic field over a closed loop.

5. What are some practical applications of using Faraday's Law to calculate the magnetic field?

Faraday's Law is used in many practical applications, such as in generators and transformers. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to create detailed images of the body. Additionally, it is used in various industries to measure and control the strength of magnetic fields in processes such as welding and metal production.