How do I calculate Volts per cm (V/cm) with the following given?

• Thread starter HMS-776
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per Volts
In summary, the problem involves calculating Volts per cm (V/cm) for two coaxial tubes with a net voltage of 20kV applied across them. The inner tube has an outer diameter of 0.5" and a length of 4", while the outer tube has an outer diameter of 1.00" and a length of 4". The solution involves calculating the area of the inner and outer tubes in cm and then dividing by the applied voltage.
HMS-776

Homework Statement

Two coaxial tubes with 20kV placed across them.
Inner tube (actutally solid rod) has an OD of .5" and a length of 4"
Outer tube has an OD of 1.00" and a length of 4"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to calculate the Area of the inner and outer tubes and convert them to cm, then divide the total area by the applied voltage? Somehow I don't think that is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
HMS-776 said:

Homework Statement

Two coaxial tubes with 20kV placed across them.
Inner tube (actutally solid rod) has an OD of .5" and a length of 4"
Outer tube has an OD of 1.00" and a length of 4"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to calculate the Area of the inner and outer tubes and convert them to cm, then divide the total area by the applied voltage? Somehow I don't think that is right?

I'm not understanding the problem statement. Why would you have two coax cables with a net voltage between them. Usually the shields of each coax will be at ground potential, or somebody is about to lose their job...

They are just coaxial tubes (one inside the other) which form a capacitor. Sorry if I explained that wrong.

Related to How do I calculate Volts per cm (V/cm) with the following given?

1. How do I calculate V/cm if I know the voltage and distance?

To calculate V/cm, divide the voltage (V) by the distance (cm). The resulting value will be in units of V/cm.

2. Can I use any units for voltage and distance when calculating V/cm?

Yes, you can use any units for voltage and distance as long as they are consistent. For example, if the voltage is given in millivolts (mV) and the distance is given in meters (m), the resulting V/cm value will be in units of mV/m.

3. What if I have multiple voltages and distances, how do I calculate the average V/cm?

To calculate the average V/cm, first calculate the V/cm for each individual voltage and distance pair, then add all the values together and divide by the number of pairs. This will give you the average V/cm value.

4. Do I need to take into account the direction of the electric field when calculating V/cm?

No, V/cm is a scalar quantity and does not depend on the direction of the electric field. Therefore, you do not need to consider the direction when calculating V/cm.

5. How do I convert V/cm to other units of electric field?

To convert V/cm to other units of electric field, you can use the following conversion factors: 1 V/cm = 1,000 V/m = 0.01 kV/cm = 10 mV/mm. Simply multiply the V/cm value by the desired conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the new unit.