How do I clean dust inside my camera lens?

In summary, dust can get inside a camera lens through regular use, frequent lens changes, and environmental factors. This dust can negatively affect image quality by causing light scattering and decreased contrast and sharpness. To check for dust inside a lens, you can shine a light or take a photo of a plain surface. While it may be possible to remove dust on the outer lens surface, it is best to have a professional clean the lens if the dust is inside. To prevent dust buildup, keep the lens and camera body clean, use a lens cap, and avoid changing lenses in dusty environments.
I've had the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 for about a year and absolutely love it. However on my last trip I noticed some spots on my photos. Looking at my lens there appears to be specs of dust on the inside of my lens. It's past the first piece of glass and resting on the inside glass. Is there an easy way to get at that? Does this happen often? I'd hate to get a new camera just for that, but it really ruins some photos depending on the light.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uh oh... I wouldn't recommend you try anything unless you are reasonably good with the relevant tools.

That said, it is surprising that you have contamination inside the lens assembly- how old is the camera, and how often have you used it in 'hazardous' (water, smoke, dust, etc) environments?

I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove the lens assembly, open it up, and reassemble everything. I can't imagine any store here (Cleveland, OH) that would be interested in trying, and I suspect it's beyond my personal level of skill (YMMV). For example, we have a similar Lumix, the shutter is broken (an internal pin broke), and I prefer to work around it rather than try and fix it.

Andy Resnick said:
Uh oh... I wouldn't recommend you try anything unless you are reasonably good with the relevant tools.

That said, it is surprising that you have contamination inside the lens assembly- how old is the camera, and how often have you used it in 'hazardous' (water, smoke, dust, etc) environments?

I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove the lens assembly, open it up, and reassemble everything.

Yeah I am really not too handy!

I've had it about a year and been on many trips. Some in dusty and wet conditions.

I guess I might as well bite the bullet and buy another one. Frustrating as it is otherwise in great condition.

Normally, you would not see dust on the lens, as it is most out of focus as possible. However with a dirty lens, you get flares and blurs, as light is refracted, so you still want your lens to be clean.

Spots on photos usually means dust on the sensor, I'm afraid. This kind of cameras isn't sealed against that, however you'd need pretty bad conditions to get the dust in there.

Obviously ruggidized water proof camera's are a better choice for harhs environments.

Andre said:
Normally, you would not see dust on the lens, as it is most out of focus as possible. However with a dirty lens, you get flares and blurs, as light is refracted, so you still want your lens to be clean.

yeah I would resort to try and get the dust spot into a dark part of the picture so it would be hidden lol

Related to How do I clean dust inside my camera lens?

What causes dust to get inside a camera lens?

There are several reasons why dust can get inside a camera lens. One of the most common causes is simply through regular use of the camera, as dust particles can easily enter through small openings or gaps in the lens barrel. Changing lenses frequently can also increase the chances of dust getting inside the camera. Additionally, environmental factors such as wind or dusty environments can also contribute to dust accumulation in the lens.

Can dust inside a camera lens affect image quality?

Yes, dust inside a camera lens can definitely affect image quality. When dust particles are present on the lens elements, they can cause light to scatter or reflect differently, resulting in decreased contrast and sharpness in images. This can also lead to the appearance of small dark spots or smudges in photos.

How can I tell if there is dust inside my camera lens?

One way to check for dust inside a camera lens is to shine a bright light through the lens from the back and look through the front. If you see small dark specks or lines, these could be dust particles. You can also try taking a photo of a plain, evenly lit surface, such as a white wall, and zoom in on the image to see if there are any visible dust spots.

Is it possible to remove dust from inside a camera lens?

In some cases, it may be possible to remove dust from inside a camera lens. If the dust is on the outer surface of the lens elements, you can try gently wiping it with a soft, lint-free cloth. However, if the dust is inside the lens, it is not recommended to attempt to disassemble the lens yourself. Instead, it is best to take the camera to a professional for cleaning.

How can I prevent dust from getting inside my camera lens?

To prevent dust from getting inside your camera lens, it is important to keep the lens and camera body clean. Use a lens cap when the lens is not in use and avoid changing lenses in dusty environments. Additionally, regularly cleaning the lens and camera body with a soft brush or cloth can help remove any dust buildup. Consider using a camera bag or case to protect the camera when not in use.