How do I convert 6.7 km/hr/sec to m/sec^2

• Thread starter Lia44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, when converting 6.7 km/hr/sec to m/sec^2, we can use the method of continuously multiplying by "1" and cancelling units. We can also use the trick of flipping the numerator and denominator when dividing two fractions, and applying the same logic when there is only one unit in the denominator. By following these methods, we can arrive at the correct answer of 1.89 m/s^2.
Lia44
1. Convert 6.7 km/hr/sec to m/sec^2.
I was given the initial value and the units (kilometers/hour/seconds) to (meters/seconds squared).

2. image for clarification
Image2.png

The correct answer is 1.89 m/s^2. I watched a video on how to do it (and followed the video to get the following), but I don't understand why I can write the initial value as 6.7km/(hr*s), as shown in the following image.
Image3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Wowie! Giant images.

A good way to do unit conversions is to keep multiplying by "1" and cancelling units. Start by multiplying by 1=1hr/3600s.

Can you carry on from there?

Actually, that is shown in your post of the hint/solution. Do you understand how multiplying by "1" doesn't change the overall value, but gives you the opportunity to start cancelling units to make the conversions?

Hello @Lia44,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :welcome:

Another trick you'll want to memorize is when dividing two fractions, say [itex] \frac{a}{b} [/itex] divided by [itex] \frac{c}{d} [/itex],

[tex] \frac{\left( \frac{a}{b} \right) }{\left( \frac{c}{d} \right)} = \frac{a}{b} \cdot \frac{d}{c} [/tex]

Notice how when [itex] \left( \frac{c}{d} \right) [/itex] is brought to the top, the numerator and denominator are flipped to form [itex] \left( \frac{d}{c} \right) [/itex]. [Edit: Technically, this is accomplished by multiplying both the numerator and denominator of the big fraction by [itex] \frac{d}{c} [/itex]. Then the denominator of the big fraction reduces to "1" and doesn't require notation.]

Now what happens if instead, there is no [itex] d[/itex]? Suppose we just have [itex] \frac{a}{b} [/itex] divided by [itex] c [/itex]?

[tex] \frac{\left( \frac{a}{b} \right) }{c} = \ ? [/tex]

Well, [itex] c [/itex] is the same thing as [itex] \frac{c}{1} [/itex], so we have

[tex] \frac{\left( \frac{a}{b} \right) }{c} = \frac{\left( \frac{a}{b} \right) }{ \left( \frac{c}{1} \right)} = \frac{a}{b} \cdot \frac{1}{c} = \frac{a}{bc} [/tex]

Likes berkeman

What is the equation for converting km/hr/sec to m/sec^2?

The equation for converting km/hr/sec to m/sec^2 is: 6.7 km/hr/sec x (1000 m/1 km) x (1 hr/3600 sec) = 0.46 m/sec^2.

Why do we need to convert units when calculating acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time. In order to accurately calculate acceleration, we need to use consistent units for distance and time. Converting units ensures that we are using the correct values in our calculations.

How can I convert km/hr/sec to m/sec^2 without using a calculator?

To convert km/hr/sec to m/sec^2 without using a calculator, you can use the conversion factor 1000 m/1 km and the conversion factor 1 hr/3600 sec to cancel out the units. Then, you can multiply 6.7 by 1000 and divide by 3600 to get the final value of 0.46 m/sec^2.

Is it necessary to convert km/hr/sec to m/sec^2 when solving physics problems?

Yes, it is necessary to convert units when solving physics problems because it ensures that our calculations are accurate and consistent. Using the wrong units can lead to incorrect results.

What are some real-life examples of converting units in scientific measurements?

Some real-life examples of converting units in scientific measurements include converting from miles per hour to kilometers per hour when measuring the speed of a car, converting from pounds to kilograms when measuring the weight of an object, and converting from degrees Celsius to degrees Fahrenheit when measuring temperature.