How do I determine I for a truncated cone in the bending of a Stylus Shaft?

In summary: The equation is EIy'' = M. Do you not know how to determine I at each cross section x for a circular cross section?
draculamedula
TL;DR Summary
Calculation of Bending of the stylus shaft.
1597545370423.png

So I have a Stylus as shown in above fig. Fixed at Point A, Force (F) is applied perpendicular to the stylus axis. How do we find deflection at the end of the Stylus (Made of Two Different Materials as shown in the figure)? Hand Calculations are much appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
draculamedula said:
Summary:: Calculation of Bending of the stylus shaft.

So I have a Stylus as shown in above fig.

what sort of stylus ??
what is it being used for ?
what are the forces "F" on the end of it ?

Do you know how to solve beam bending problems? I mean do you have some experience solving beam bending problems?

davenn said:
what sort of stylus ??
what is it being used for ?
what are the forces "F" on the end of it ?
It is a Probing Stylus,
It is used in inspection.
Force F is the force exerted by Workpiece on the stylus.

Chestermiller said:
Do you know how to solve beam bending problems? I mean do you have some experience solving beam bending problems?
Yes I do, I have problem with the Truncated Cone Part (Tapered Cylinder).

How are the two materials connected?
Is the conical section hollow?

draculamedula said:
Yes I do, I have problem with the Truncated Cone Part (Tapered Cylinder).
So you are able to do the shear load and moment diagrams? If so, how is y'' related to M? What do you think the matching conditions at the junction should be?

Lnewqban said:
How are the two materials connected?
Is the conical section hollow?
using screw joints

draculamedula said:
using screw joints
What material is the female thread?
How big the thread? M4?

Lnewqban said:
What material is the female thread?
How big the thread? M4?
Stainless Steel and yes M4

Chestermiller said:
So you are able to do the shear load and moment diagrams? If so, how is y'' related to M? What do you think the matching conditions at the junction should be?
No, I am not able to.

draculamedula said:
Stainless Steel
Could we assume that the weakest link is the female thread into the ceramic rod?
Thread could be M2 x 0.40, M2,5 x 0.50, M3 x 0.5 or M3 x 0.25.

Lnewqban said:
Could we assume that the weakest link is the female thread into the ceramic rod?
For now, consider the beam with no joints. Just assume it as a composite beam.
One end fixed, applying 1N force at the end as shown in figure. To Find: Deflection of the beam

draculamedula said:
No, I am not able to.
If you have experience doing beam bending problems, what is your difficulty with developing the shear and moment diagrams for this beam?

Chestermiller said:
If you have experience doing beam bending problems, what is your difficulty with developing the shear and moment diagrams for this beam?
I only have a problem with the truncated cone (varying cross-section) part as I have said earlier.

draculamedula said:
I only have a problem with the truncated cone (varying cross-section) part as I have said earlier.
The shear and moment diagrams involve pure force and moment balances, independent of the shape of the cone.

Likes Lnewqban
Chestermiller said:
The shear and moment diagrams involve pure force and moment balances, independent of the shape of the cone.
what about the area moment of inertia?

draculamedula said:
what about the area moment of inertia?
That's in the equation relating y'' to M.

Chestermiller said:
That's in the equation relating y'' to M.
Exactly. How can I find that for a truncated cone?

draculamedula said:
Exactly. How can I find that for a truncated cone?
The equation is EIy'' = M. Do you not know how to determine I at each cross section x for a circular cross section?

1. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a truncated cone?

The moment of inertia for a truncated cone can be calculated using the formula I = (3/10)mr^2 + (3/20)M(R^2 + r^2), where m is the mass of the cone, r is the radius of the smaller base, M is the mass of the larger base, and R is the radius of the larger base.

2. What is the significance of determining the moment of inertia for a truncated cone in the bending of a stylus shaft?

The moment of inertia is a crucial factor in determining the bending behavior of a stylus shaft. It represents the resistance of the cone to bending and is necessary for calculating the deflection and stress of the shaft.

3. How does the shape of a truncated cone affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia for a truncated cone is affected by both the mass and the distribution of mass. A cone with a larger radius at the base will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a cone with a smaller radius, even if they have the same mass.

4. Can the moment of inertia for a truncated cone be measured experimentally?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be measured experimentally by using a torsion pendulum or a rotating platform. These methods involve measuring the angular acceleration of the cone and using it to calculate the moment of inertia.

5. How does the material of the truncated cone affect its moment of inertia?

The material of the truncated cone does not directly affect its moment of inertia, as it is a property of the cone's shape and mass distribution. However, the material can indirectly affect the moment of inertia by influencing the density and mass of the cone.