How do I determine the distance between two lenses in a telephoto lens system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how far behind the concave lens the film should be placed in a simple camera telephoto lens, and the lateral magnification of this lens combination. The equations 1/f=1/di + 1/do and M=-di/do are mentioned and it is suggested to find the magnification of each lens and multiply them to find the final magnification. The concept of locating the position of the image of the first lens is also discussed, with the reminder to make the 1/f for the second lens negative. The idea of virtual images and the analogy to a flat mirror is brought up to explain this concept.
creative_wind

Homework Statement

A simple camera telephoto lens consists of two lenses. The objective lens has a focal length f1 = +36.0 cm. Precisely 33.0 cm behind this lens is a concave lens with a focal length f2 = -10.0 cm. The object to be photographed is 3.67 m in front of the objective lens.

(a) How far behind the concave lens should the film be placed?

(b) What is the lateral magnification (ratio of image height to object height) of this lens combination?

Homework Equations

1/f=1/di + 1/do

M=-di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that the di1 (the objective lens) is the do2 (for the second/concave lens). Calculating di1 gives me 0.399 m which is greater than the distance between the two lenses, so that would mean do2 on the same side that the film would be on. I tried using 0.399m - 0.33 m = 0.069m = do2 to calculate di2 anyways, but that answer is wrong. I'm stuck as to what value to use for do2. As for part b) I know to find the magnification of each lens and then multiply the two magnification values to get the final magnification. I just need to figure out part a). Thanks so much for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
creative_wind said:
My understanding is that the di1 (the objective lens) is the do2 (for the second/concave lens). Calculating di1 gives me 0.399 m which is greater than the distance between the two lenses, so that would mean do2 on the same side that the film would be on. I tried using 0.399m - 0.33 m = 0.069m = do2 to calculate di2 anyways, but that answer is wrong. I'm stuck as to what value to use for do2. As for part b) I know to find the magnification of each lens and then multiply the two magnification values to get the final magnification. I just need to figure out part a). Thanks so much for any help!

Hi creative_wind! :smile:

You really need to show us what you did if we're going to see where the mistake is.

I'll guess … did you remember to make the 1/f for the second lens negative? :smile:

Okay so as I wrote above I was using 0.399 m -0.33 m = 0.069 m. It should be 0.33 m - 0.399 m = -0.069 m, which gives me the correct answer. I can't say I really understand the concept of locating the position of the image of the first lens since it never really forms (hits second lens first) but at least I understand how to answer the question and could do it on an exam now. Thanks for your help!

… don't talk to me about reality …

creative_wind said:
I can't say I really understand the concept of locating the position of the image of the first lens since it never really forms …

You're really into reality aren't you? :rofl:

Forget reality!

phsyics is reality … maths (including geometry) isn't :smile:

and this is a geometrical trick

the rays behave as if they did come from the virtual image …

just like the image in an ordinary flat mirror, which saves you the effort of having to draw incidence and reflection angles carefully!

1. What is a compound lens?

A compound lens is a type of optical lens that is made up of two or more individual lenses that are placed in contact with each other. This design allows for enhanced optical performance and a wider range of applications.

2. How is the final image formed in a compound lens?

The final image in a compound lens is formed through the process of refraction. When light rays pass through the individual lenses, they are bent and converged or diverged, depending on the shape and curvature of the lenses. The final image is the result of these refracted rays coming together at a specific point.

3. What factors can affect the final image in a compound lens?

The final image in a compound lens can be affected by several factors, including the shape, curvature, and distance between the individual lenses, as well as the refractive index of the materials used to make the lenses.

4. How does the number of lenses in a compound lens affect the final image?

The number of lenses in a compound lens can affect the final image in several ways. Adding more lenses can increase the magnification and clarity of the image, but it can also introduce more potential sources of distortion and aberration if the lenses are not properly aligned.

5. What are some common uses for compound lenses?

Compound lenses have a wide range of applications, including in photography, microscopy, telescopes, and eyeglasses. They are also used in various scientific instruments, such as spectrometers and laser systems, to manipulate and focus light for specific purposes.