How do I draw a FBD for centripetal force

In summary, banking road surfaces on curves helps cars make turns more safely by providing a centripetal force that keeps the car from slipping. This is important because without banking, cars would rely solely on friction for turning, which is not always reliable. The angle of banking is dependent on the speed and radius of the turn, and allows for self-adjustment of static friction to prevent skidding or slipping. As speed increases, so does the grip (static friction) on the road, up to a maximum speed.
Biochemgirl2002
Moved from technical forum so no template
The question
Sometimes road surfaces have banked curves, use a FBD to explain how it helps cars make turns more safely My trial:

I drew this FBD (attached below)

Image1512568486.090307.jpg

And I think it helps make driving more safe because the Fn acting on the car is pointed more towards the middle of the curve, which acts as a centripetal force. Which like in space, where centripetal force acts as your gravity, the centripetal force will cause the car to stick to the road and not slip as much Does this sound correct? How can I elaborate more?

Attachments

• Image1512568486.090307.jpg
    Image1512568486.090307.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,976
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. What other forces might be involved?

rhiana said:
the Fn acting on the car is pointed more towards the middle of the curve, which acts as a centripetal force.
That's good.

In order to turn, you need some centripetal force. Without banking, what force are you relying on?

rhiana said:
The question
Sometimes road surfaces have banked curves, use a FBD to explain how it helps cars make turns more safelyMy trial:

I drew this FBD (attached below)

View attachment 216225

And I think it helps make driving more safe because the Fn acting on the car is pointed more towards the middle of the curve, which acts as a centripetal force. Which like in space, where centripetal force acts as your gravity, the centripetal force will cause the car to stick to the road and not slip as muchDoes this sound correct? How can I elaborate more?
Friction is not always reliable at circular turn if high speed and sharp turns are involved.To aviod dependence on friction, the roads are banked at the turn so that the outer part of the road is somewhat lifted up as compared to inner part.The surface of the road makes an angle θ with the horizontal throughout the turn.The normal force Fn makes an angle θ with vertical. At correct speed,the horizontal component of Fn is sufficient to produce the centripetal acceleration
Fnsinθ=mv^2/r
Fncosθ=mg
From these two
tanθ=v^2/rg
The angle θ depends on v as well as r.roads are banked for average expected speed.if the speed of particular vehicle is little more than that the correct speed, the self adjustable static friction operates between the tyres and road and the vehicle doest not skid or slip.

Doc Al said:
You're on the right track. What other forces might be involved?That's good.

In order to turn, you need some centripetal force. Without banking, what force are you relying on?

To turn, would you just be relying on the friction of the tires? If there was no banking

Abhishek kumar said:
Friction is not always reliable at circular turn if high speed and sharp turns are involved.To aviod dependence on friction, the roads are banked at the turn so that the outer part of the road is somewhat lifted up as compared to inner part.The surface of the road makes an angle θ with the horizontal throughout the turn.The normal force Fn makes an angle θ with vertical. At correct speed,the horizontal component of Fn is sufficient to produce the centripetal acceleration
Fnsinθ=mv^2/r
Fncosθ=mg
From these two
tanθ=v^2/rg
The angle θ depends on v as well as r.roads are banked for average expected speed.if the speed of particular vehicle is little more than that the correct speed, the self adjustable static friction operates between the tyres and road and the vehicle doest not skid or slip.

Okay, so when you go faster, the more grip (or static friction) you have on the road?

rhiana said:
To turn, would you just be relying on the friction of the tires? If there was no banking
Exactly.

rhiana said:
Okay, so when you go faster, the more grip (or static friction) you have on the road?
Yes. Static friction will increase as needed to prevent slipping -- up to its maximum for the given surfaces.

Likes Abhishek kumar
rhiana said:
Upto a certain maximum speed.

What is a free body diagram (FBD)?

A free body diagram is a simple diagram used in physics to show all the forces acting on an object. It helps to visualize and solve problems involving forces and motion.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

How do I draw a FBD for centripetal force?

To draw a FBD for centripetal force, first identify the object in motion and draw a dot to represent it. Then, draw arrows representing all the forces acting on the object, including the centripetal force towards the center of the circle. Label each force with its magnitude and direction.

What are the common forces included in a FBD for centripetal force?

The common forces included in a FBD for centripetal force are the centripetal force, the force of gravity, and the normal force. Other forces such as friction and tension may also be present depending on the specific situation.

Why is it important to draw a FBD for centripetal force?

Drawing a FBD for centripetal force allows you to clearly identify and understand all the forces acting on an object in circular motion. This is essential for solving problems involving centripetal force and ensuring that all forces are taken into account in calculations.