How Do I Express Mass and e in Natural Units?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of coefficients of the massive Higgs Lagrangian in natural units, ħ = c = 1. The values of the masses of the Higgs, W, and Z particles are mentioned as well as the value of the electric charge, which is related to the Fine Structure Constant. The conversation emphasizes the importance of specifying the unit system being used in order to accurately calculate these values. The conversation concludes with a reminder to practice more calculations in order to become comfortable with different unit systems.
QuantumSkippy
Hi Everyone,

I have to calculate the coefficients of the massive Higgs Lagrangian in natural units, ħ = c = 1.

Do I assume firstly that, in these units the masses of the Higgs, W and Z are the usual,
125.09±0.21, 80.4, 91.2 respectively, and secondly that e has to have the value 2√(απ), where α is the Fine Structure Constant? This seems to make sense.

Please tell me if these values are correct and if not, what the values are and how they come about.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Have fun with Physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
Setting [itex]\hbar = c = 1[/itex] doesn't get rid of all of your units - masses still have dimension, so you need to specify the units when you cite a mass.

Similarly, you should be clear about electromagnetic units. There are units where [itex]e[/itex] is dimensionless, but unless you specify that unit system, I can't tell you the relation between electric charge and the fine structure constant.

king vitamin said:
Setting [itex]\hbar = c = 1[/itex] doesn't get rid of all of your units - masses still have dimension, so you need to specify the units when you cite a mass.

Similarly, you should be clear about electromagnetic units. There are units where [itex]e[/itex] is dimensionless, but unless you specify that unit system, I can't tell you the relation between electric charge and the fine structure constant.

Thanks for replying.

The unit system being used would be the one most commonly employed by particle physicists. I would be happy to know the values in the most commonly used system.

Cheers

In QFT textbooks one often uses energy for all units, and sets [itex]\epsilon_0 = 1[/itex]. If temperature is ever used, also set [itex]k_B = 1[/itex].

So you should be sure to put the units on the numbers you gave to the particle masses you mentioned (they are all in [itex]GeV[/itex]). The fine structure constant in SI units is

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 \hbar c}
[/tex]

so clearly

[tex]
e = \sqrt{4 \pi \alpha}
[/tex]

as you said.

king vitamin said:
In QFT textbooks one often uses energy for all units, and sets [itex]\epsilon_0 = 1[/itex]. If temperature is ever used, also set [itex]k_B = 1[/itex].

So you should be sure to put the units on the numbers you gave to the particle masses you mentioned (they are all in [itex]GeV[/itex]). The fine structure constant in SI units is

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 \hbar c}
[/tex]

so clearly

[tex]
e = \sqrt{4 \pi \alpha}
[/tex]

as you said.
Thanks very much for your help. I have to give a talk and I wanted to make sure I got it right. Really need to do more calculations more often, so that I will be comfortable with the various systems of units. Thanks again! Cheers.

1. What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of measurement in which fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant, are set to equal 1. This means that all other units, including mass and energy, are expressed in terms of these constants.

2. How do I express mass in natural units?

To express mass in natural units, you simply divide the mass in kilograms by the speed of light squared. This will give you the mass in terms of energy, which is equivalent to the unit of mass in natural units, known as the Planck mass.

3. What is the equation for converting mass to energy in natural units?

The equation for converting mass to energy in natural units is E = mc^2, where E is the energy in natural units, m is the mass in terms of the Planck mass, and c is the speed of light.

4. How do I express energy in natural units?

To express energy in natural units, you can use the equation E = mc^2, where E is the energy in natural units, m is the mass in terms of the Planck mass, and c is the speed of light. Alternatively, you can simply use the Planck energy, which is equivalent to 1 in natural units.

5. What is the significance of expressing mass and energy in natural units?

Expressing mass and energy in natural units allows for a simpler and more elegant way to describe the fundamental laws of physics. It removes the need for conversion factors and allows for a more direct understanding of the relationships between different physical quantities. Additionally, it is often used in theoretical physics and research, as it simplifies calculations and equations.