How do I find the frequency, speed and direction of a wave

In summary, you should reverse engineer the wave equation to get x(t) from v(t,x). You should also consider what effect incrementing the time or the coordinate by the wavelength has on the phase.
therealist
Homework Statement
How do I find frequency, speed and direction of a wave
Relevant Equations
Not sure what to write here
Hey I am trying to learn how waves move in time and I am not sure how to solve the following question. Can someone please guide me through it.
1589550063960.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello real one, :welcome: !

Short answer: No. PF guidelines forbid us to assist. First you have to make an effort to solve and post it. Shows us what you know already and helps us to help you do the exercise.

Surely you can do first part of ii) for ##t=0## !

Likes Delta2
therealist said:
Homework Statement:: How do I find frequency, speed and direction of a wave
Relevant Equations:: Not sure what to write here

Hey I am trying to learn how waves move in time and I am not sure how to solve the following question. Can someone please guide me through it. View attachment 262812

In your text or lecture notes, there SHOULD be wave equation in a GENERIC form that connects x(t) to v(t,x). So do "reverse engineering" and get x(t) from v(t,x), assuming that you are either given the form outright, or you have to do some sort of integration.

Otherwise, as BvU has stated, you are asking us to do the work for you, and this is forbidden on PF. This forum is not Chegg.

Zz.

I ll try to help to give you a jump start, though as @BvU said you should have post your attempt before you receive any help cause that's a basic rule here in physics forums.

It should be in your book or notes that the general equation for a harmonic one dimensional wave propagating over the x-axis is
$$v(x,t)=v_0\sin(2\pi ft-\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x)$$
where ##f## is the frequency of the wave, ##\lambda## is the wavelength of wave and ##c=\lambda f## is the speed of the wave. (and ##v_0## is the amplitude of the wave.)

So by comparing the general equation and the equation you are given what can you deduce for the values of ##f##,##\lambda## and ##c##?

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
To see why the equation has the form @Delta2 mentioned, you might consider what effect incrementing the time by the time period ##T## or incrementing the ##x## coordinate by the wavelength ##\lambda## has on the phase. For instance, can you figure out what ##\omega T## equals if ##v(x, t) = v(x, t+T)##?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I measure the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be measured by counting the number of complete cycles of the wave that occur in one second. This is typically measured in units of Hertz (Hz).

2. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The frequency and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: frequency = speed of the wave / wavelength.

3. How do I calculate the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave can be calculated by multiplying its frequency by its wavelength. This can also be represented by the equation: speed = frequency x wavelength.

4. How do I determine the direction of a wave?

The direction of a wave can be determined by observing the motion of the particles that the wave is traveling through. If the particles are moving in the same direction as the wave, then the wave is traveling in the same direction. If the particles are moving in the opposite direction, then the wave is traveling in the opposite direction.

5. How do I find the frequency, speed, and direction of a wave using an oscilloscope?

To find the frequency of a wave using an oscilloscope, adjust the time scale until one complete cycle of the wave is displayed. The frequency can then be calculated by dividing 1 by the time displayed on the screen. To find the speed and direction, observe the direction of the wave on the oscilloscope and compare it to the direction of the particles in the medium.