How do I find the other charge using electric potential?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of the other charge using the equation k|q1||q2|/r^2, but the calculated answer was incorrect. The relevant equation for this problem is the electric potential due to point charges. The task at hand is to find the correct value of the other charge.
moeug1999
Homework Statement
The potential equals 7.68 V at the midpoint between two point charges that are 1.11 m apart. One of the charges is 1.06 10-9 C. Find the value of the other charge.
Relevant Equations
I assume the k|q1||q2|/r^2
I tried looking for the other charge using the equation k|q1||q2|/r^2 but it tells me that my answer is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
moeug1999 said:
Homework Statement:: The potential equals 7.68 V at the midpoint between two point charges that are 1.11 m apart. One of the charges is 1.06 10-9 C. Find the value of the other charge.
Relevant Equations:: I assume the k|q1||q2|/r^2

I tried looking for the other charge using the equation k|q1||q2|/r^2 but it tells me that my answer is wrong
Please show us your detailed calculation so we can check it for you. Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
Please show us your detailed calculation so we can check it for you. Thanks. :smile:
here's my attempt

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 111
moeug1999 said:
Relevant Equations:: I assume the k|q1||q2|/r^2
What you have there is irrelevant to this problem. Not only that but it's not even an equation. Your attempt in post #3 shows a bunch of numbers without a starting equation. This problem is about the electric potential due to point charges. What is a general expression for that? That should be your starting point.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I calculate electric potential?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. What is the equation for electric potential?

The equation for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. How do I find the other charge using electric potential?

To find the other charge using electric potential, you can rearrange the equation V = kQ/r to Q = Vr/k. Plug in the values for V and r, and solve for Q to find the other charge.

4. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This means that the electric potential energy is decreasing as the charge moves from a higher potential to a lower potential.

5. What unit is used to measure electric potential?

The unit used to measure electric potential is volts (V). This is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).