How do I get in the game: Biomedical Engineering

In summary, the speaker obtained a Bachelor's degree in applied Physics with a focus in biological and chemical engineering and a minor in Biomedical Engineering. After being unsuccessful in finding a job, they enrolled in a Master's of Engineering program in Biomedical Engineering. They chose this program for several reasons, including difficulty finding support for a thesis and wanting to gain internship experience. However, after three months of applying to internships, the speaker has had no success and is worried about their job prospects after graduation. They are seeking advice on how to make themselves a more competitive candidate, including taking graduate level engineering courses and improving their soft skills.
joshthekid
Hi all,

Where to begin? I got my B.S. in applied Physics with biological and chemical engineering focus as well as a minor in Biomedical Engineering. I was on the job market for a year and after having no success applied to a graduate program in Biomedical Engineering. So currently I am in my second semester of a Master's of Engineering program in Biomedical Engineering which is a coursework only program. I entered this program for a number of reasons, first, I could not find anybody to support me for thesis work as a Masters's student, second I wanted to get an internship over the summer instead of being stuck working on a thesis, third though, I feel every research experience gives you useful skills, there are maybe 1 or 2 faculty at my school who do research that is directly applicable with a job in industry, and fourth I have already written two papers and have ample research experience so I thought it might be to my advantage to take more higher level engineering courses.

Now after about three months of applying to internships I have not had one, interview, call, email nothing and I am starting to worry as I absolutely need a job when I get out of school, since I put myself in more student debt to pay for this program. So my question to those of you currently working in the field is what do I need to do to make myself a more competitive candidate. I will be signing up for classes in the next week for the upcoming semester. One of the advantages of my program, is that with an exception of a few required courses, I can pretty much take any graduate level engineering course, mechanical, electrical, chemical, or civil to satisfy my requirements. Is there any courses as a graduate engineering student that are big plusses on a resume? If I can't find work in the field this summer what else can I be doing to better myself?

Thanks,

Worried Grad Student

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that when I interview candidates I often consider the technical expertise as a "given". I will ask questions to make sure that is actually the case, but then I wind up with a pool of candidates that are all capable of handling the work from a technical perspective. What then distinguishes them is the "soft" skills. I look for experience presenting orally, writing well, working independently, completing projects, time management, etc.

What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to develop solutions for healthcare and improve human health.

What are the educational requirements to become a biomedical engineer?

Most biomedical engineers have a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering, although some may have degrees in related fields such as mechanical or electrical engineering. A graduate degree may be required for some positions.

What skills are important for a career in biomedical engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of math and science are crucial for a career in biomedical engineering. Additionally, excellent communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other professionals in the field.

What job opportunities are available for biomedical engineers?

Biomedical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, research institutions, and government agencies. They may hold positions such as research scientist, product development engineer, or clinical engineer.

How can I stay current with advancements in the field of biomedical engineering?

Attending conferences and workshops, subscribing to professional journals, and participating in continuing education courses are all ways to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in biomedical engineering. Additionally, networking with other professionals in the field can provide valuable insights and opportunities for learning.