How do I get rid of Palmetto Bugs in my wooded apartment complex?

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods and experiences with getting rid of Palmetto bugs, also known as roaches. The participants share their own personal strategies and offer advice such as spraying insecticide, using roach baits, and sealing entry points. There is also mention of using diatomaceous earth and mixing condensed milk with boric acid. The conversation touches on the prevalence of these bugs in certain areas and the difficulties of completely eradicating them.
Aero51
Whats the best way to kill'em?
I live in a very wooded apartment complex and they come in at least once a day. It's annoying.

Personally, I'd like to chase them around with a blow torch, but that may cause property damage. I came across this website that had this interesting fact:
http://wildflowers.jdcc.edu/Palmetto_Bug.html

The adults can survive two or three months without food, but only about a month without water.
Scary!

I don't think an exterminator will come as I am in NC right now and they are ABUNDANT outside. You can hear them scurrying about when you step outside at night.

The sad thing is that the apartment is really wonderful except for these bugs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out where they're getting in and try to seal those spots up as best as you can.

We even have them is AZ, but not to the extent you mention. I have used roach baits in the house. Sticky pads work good just inside and outside the doorway.

Have you tried laying down diatomatceous earth? That material can damage the the outer shells of bugs and desiccate them. If you have pets, this is the safest way to get rid of the bugs.

dipole said:
Figure out where they're getting in and try to seal those spots up as best as you can.

That is for sure. I finally realized that they were climbing up the outside walls and squeezing in through small cracks where the roof structure meets the walls. Then they came down into the house through any crack they could find.

One place was around the pipes under the sinks where the pipes go through the wall.

Have you tried laying down diatomatceous earth? That material can damage the the outer shells of bugs and desiccate them. If you have pets, this is the safest way to get rid of the bugs.

I did not know this. What is the best method for laying in down? Should it be just sprinkled around main entrances, put in the kitchen, etc?

I am really weary about doing anything to modify my apartment because I am a poor graduate student and cannot afford to be charged.

The "bug powder" is very cheap, and can be put anyplace that you think that bugs frequent. Some infestations can be cleared up quickly this way. Good luck.

Buddy, you ain't gots Palmetto bugs ... you gots roaches. You can stomp 'em, you can trap 'em, you can spray 'em, you can bait 'em, but you ain't never going to get rid of 'em until you move where they ain't. Dem roaches was there before you and they'll be there long after everybody forgot who you were.

Why or why do people live in places with pestilence?

Where I live there are few icky bugs, almost no unbearable humidity, the winters are (relatively) mild and the summers are beautiful. No tornadoes. Poisonous snakes are extremely rare, as are poisonous spiders. No hurricanes. No plagues of blood, frogs, gnats, wild animals, disease, boils, hail, or locusts.

OK, there is the occasional earthquake, but just ask the Kiwis here on PF - they aren't so bad! And yes we have volcanoes but at least they are kind enough to give warning they're about to go pyroclastic.

We do have lots of Canada geese, and our traffic can be bad. About once every ten years someone dies from rabies or hantavirus. I can live with those risks.

Sorry Aero I would not recognize a palmetto bug if it stopped me on the street to ask the time. But I do hand it to you: I think y'all who live with pestilence are probably tougher than us in the Northwest.

Aero, just buy some roach spray to spray around the doorways, windows, and any places around the foundation outside and any possible entry points. Also, you should spray inside around all such areas, especially baseboards and inside the cabinets under the sink. Also invest in some good quality roach baits.

I live facing a wooded ravine and regularly spraying by an exterminator means once or twice a year I find a dead or dying roach inside. Your landlord should be having an exterminator spaying regurlay (once or twice a year).

Why or why do people live in places with pestilence?

Because people like you aren't willing to donate people like me money :)

Sorry Aero I would not recognize a palmetto bug if it stopped me on the street to ask the time. But I do hand it to you: I think y'all who live with pestilence are probably tougher than us in the Northwest.

It is a big arse bug (2-3 inches long)
67219d1282567964-there-flying-roaches-maine-roach_palmetto.jpg

Aero51 said:
Because people like you aren't willing to donate people like me money :)

67219d1282567964-there-flying-roaches-maine-roach_palmetto.jpg

I see.

That bug is repugnant. Humans should not live around such bugs, Aero.

What eats them? Maybe you need more of those.

Or do like Evo says.

Holy moly, North Carolina even calls itself "The Palmetto State"! OMG!

We're "The Evergreen State". I'm not saying we're better but...we're better.

Edit: South Carolina.

Po-TAY-to, Po-TAH-to.

lisab said:
Holy moly, North Carolina even calls itself "The Palmetto State"! OMG!

Edit: South Carolina.

Thanks. :wink:

Down here, even houses in the best neighborhoods have a few roaches. Unless you want to fill your house with pesticides, you have to put up with them. We don't leave food out, we seal up leftovers and partially-used food tightly, we clean up spilled food in the kitchen and elsewhere, etc. We still see a roach or two almost every day.

Bronx Beetles, Philly Phlyers, Memphis Mosquitos, Miami Mayflies

Aero51 said:
Whats the best way to kill'em?

Fire, lots of it. But if burning your house down isn't an option, I've heard of an old method: mixing condensed milk with Boric acid (commonly sold as foot powder). Cannot vouch for it's efficacy myself.

Aero51 said:
... that makes a most satisfying POP when stomped.

They're just visitors from the natural environment. Your house or apartment is chock full of ways for these little (well, not so little) visitors to come in, uninvited. They get into your attic and walls through the eaves, through the roof ventilation, through the weep holes. Then they get into your house through all kinds of gaps. There are gaps between the wallboard and ceiling or floor, gaps in the plumbing, gaps in the electrical wiring.

The thing to remember is that they are visitors from outside. So long as you keep your sink clean and your food well protected, your indoor environment is quite hostile to these pesky visitors. I'd rather put up with them to some extent than fill my house top to bottom with poison.

I would call in a professional exterminator. It is their job to figure that stuff out, and they would certainly know the local pests and have the tools for dealing with them.

PS You can definitely hire exterminators in NC. I know several.

Why do the pests that are most frequent in houses have to be the most disgusting freakin things on the planet? Why can't we have butterflies as pests? God I hate cockroaches. That's the one animal I WANT to go extinct.

I've found the best way to mitigate roaches is to keep the kitchen and pantry clean. Roaches are attracted to food particles.

I've seen large spiders eating roaches, but most people don't want large spiders in their house.

1. How do Palmetto Bugs get into my apartment complex?

Palmetto Bugs, also known as American Cockroaches, are commonly found in wooded areas and can easily enter buildings through cracks, open doors, and windows. They are attracted to warm and moist environments, making apartment complexes with wooded surroundings an ideal habitat.

2. What are some preventative measures I can take to keep Palmetto Bugs out?

To prevent Palmetto Bugs from entering your apartment complex, you can seal any cracks or openings in the walls, floors, and doors. Keep the area clean and free of clutter, as these bugs are attracted to food and hiding places. Regularly inspect and maintain screens on doors and windows to ensure they are intact.

3. Are Palmetto Bugs dangerous?

Palmetto Bugs are not known to transmit diseases to humans, but they can trigger allergies and asthma in sensitive individuals. They can also contaminate food and surfaces with their feces and saliva, posing a risk of foodborne illnesses.

4. How can I eliminate Palmetto Bugs from my apartment complex?

There are several ways to eliminate Palmetto Bugs from your apartment complex. You can use boric acid or diatomaceous earth to kill them, or use insecticides specifically labeled for cockroaches. It is important to follow the instructions on the product carefully and to target areas where these bugs are commonly found.

5. Can I get rid of Palmetto Bugs on my own, or do I need professional help?

While it is possible to eliminate Palmetto Bugs on your own, it can be challenging, especially in a large apartment complex. Professional pest control services have the expertise and equipment to effectively eliminate these bugs and prevent them from returning. If you have a severe infestation or have tried to eliminate them on your own with no success, it is best to seek professional help.