How do I get the Convection Coefficient for steam in a jacketed vessel?

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the convection coefficient for steam in a heating jacket, with the person asking for an equation or book recommendation. They mention the use of a dimensionless number and are pointed towards resources such as the Engineering Toolbox and the Spirax Sarco website. Another person recommends the 5th Edition of Chemical Engineer's Handbook by Perry & Chilton as a helpful resource.
Will26040
TL;DR Summary
I need to obtain the convection coefficient of the steam in a heating jacket. I have steam at 1 bar and I know the dimensions of the jacket
Please could someone point me in the direction of an equation/ book I can use to obtain the convection coefficient for steam in a heating jacket. Steam is at 1 bar pressure. I think I need to use a dimensionless number. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
My 5th Edition of Chemical Engineer's Handbook by Perry & Chilton has several pages on condensing and boiling heat transfer. This book is an excellent resource for people with your type of questions. Amazon has it, and the current edition is apparently the 9th Edition.

Likes Will26040
thankyou to you both!

Likes jrmichler and Lnewqban

1. What is a convection coefficient?

A convection coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred from a surface to a fluid through convection. It takes into account the properties of the fluid, the surface geometry, and the temperature difference between the surface and the fluid.

2. Why is the convection coefficient important in a jacketed vessel?

In a jacketed vessel, the convection coefficient is important because it determines the efficiency of heat transfer between the steam in the jacket and the material being heated or cooled inside the vessel. A higher convection coefficient means faster heat transfer and better temperature control.

3. How is the convection coefficient for steam in a jacketed vessel calculated?

The convection coefficient for steam in a jacketed vessel can be calculated using the Nusselt number correlation, which takes into account the properties of the steam, the geometry of the jacket, and the flow rate of the steam. This correlation can be found in heat transfer textbooks or online resources.

4. What factors can affect the convection coefficient in a jacketed vessel?

The convection coefficient in a jacketed vessel can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the steam, the geometry and size of the jacket, the temperature difference between the steam and the material being heated or cooled, and the properties of the fluid being heated or cooled.

5. How can the convection coefficient be improved in a jacketed vessel?

To improve the convection coefficient in a jacketed vessel, the steam velocity can be increased, the jacket geometry can be optimized for better flow, and the temperature difference between the steam and the material can be increased. Additionally, using a fluid with better heat transfer properties or adding baffles inside the jacket can also improve the convection coefficient.