How do I install something on a CD without a CD drive?

In summary, the speaker has a Windows 8 Toshiba laptop with a missing CD drive, possibly due to their cat knocking it off their desk. They need to install something from a CD and are seeking advice. The options suggested are to borrow another computer and link the two together or transfer the information via email, or to purchase a USB CD drive. The speaker is grateful for the help and mentions that many products have online downloads available.
0dd10ut
So, I have a Windows 8 Toshiba laptop, however; quite a while ago, the CD drive fell out. (I'm unsure of how it happened, but it might have something to do with my cat. He has knocked my laptop off of my desk several times.) But I want to install something that is on a CD! Help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Borrow another computer with a working drive and either link the two computers together (best) or transfer your information as a series of Emails (slow) .

Nidum said:
Borrow another computer with a working drive and either link the two computers together (best) or transfer your information as a series of Emails (slow) .
Or image the CD to a usb thumb drive

Likes Nidum
Or spend $15 and buy a USB CD-drive.

Likes duhuhu, Mark44 and Greg Bernhardt
Nidum said:
Thank you so much! It worked beautifully! Thank you again!

Most products that require you to install software have online downloads for the software, google the make and model of whatever you are installing.

Likes billy_joule

1. How do I install software on a computer without a CD drive?

The most common method is to download the software from the internet and follow the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer. Alternatively, you can use an external CD drive or transfer the files from a CD to a USB drive and install from there.

2. Can I create a virtual CD drive to install software without a physical CD drive?

Yes, you can use virtual CD drive software such as Daemon Tools or Virtual CloneDrive to mount the software's ISO file and install it as if it were on a physical CD.

3. Is it possible to install software on a CD without a CD drive using a network?

Yes, if your computer is connected to a network, you can share the CD drive from another computer on the network and install the software from there. This method requires both computers to be on the same network and for file and printer sharing to be enabled.

4. What other options do I have if I don't want to use an external CD drive or create a virtual CD drive?

You can also try using a CD emulator, which allows you to create a virtual CD drive on your computer and load an ISO file to install the software. Some examples of CD emulators include Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel and WinCDEmu.

5. Are there any limitations to installing software on a CD without a CD drive?

The main limitation is that you will not be able to install software that is only available on a physical CD. Additionally, some software may require you to have a physical CD in order to run it, even if it is installed on your computer without a CD drive.