How do I know whether a base is strong or not?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter simphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the strength of acids and bases. While there is a table available for determining strong acids based on their pKa values, there is no such table for bases. However, some metal hydroxides, such as alkali metal hydroxides and alkaline earth metal hydroxides, are generally considered to be strong bases. The conversation also mentions that Kb values for metal hydroxides are difficult to find, but pKb values for certain bases, such as ammonia, are known.
simphys
Homework Statement
that is the question.
Relevant Equations
chemistry
So I know that I can get whether an acid is strong or not from a table where if ##pK_a## < 0 than it is a strong acid, but there is no such table for bases, so how do I determine whether a base is strong or weak?

Also.. for metalhydroxides MOH, which will be strong and which are weak bases?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
or.... do we consider all of the metalhydroxides (that do not hydrolise) to be strong bases because they will form OH- ions which is basically considered a strong base?

simphys said:
there is no such table for bases

Sure there are, how do you think I know pKb for ammonia is 4.75?

But you are right that Kb values for metal hydroxides are quite difficult to find. That's because they are not that important - most hydroxides are either very strong bases (alkali metal hydroxides are very strong, alkaline earth metal hydroxides are strong and almost fully dissociated, but poorly soluble) or so insoluble discussing their strength is a moot.

1. What is the definition of a strong base?

A strong base is a substance that completely dissociates in water to produce hydroxide ions (OH-) and a cation. This results in a high concentration of hydroxide ions in the solution, making it highly basic.

2. How do I test the strength of a base?

The strength of a base can be tested by measuring the pH of its solution. A strong base will have a high pH, typically above 10. Additionally, a strong base will have a high concentration of hydroxide ions, which can be measured using a conductivity meter.

3. What factors affect the strength of a base?

The strength of a base is affected by its concentration and the strength of the bond between the base and the hydroxide ion. Generally, the higher the concentration and the stronger the bond, the stronger the base will be.

4. How do I identify a strong base from its chemical formula?

A strong base will typically have a hydroxide ion (OH-) in its chemical formula, such as NaOH or KOH. It may also have a metal cation, such as Na+ or K+, bonded to the hydroxide ion.

5. Can a base be too strong?

Yes, a base can be too strong. Bases that are too strong can be dangerous and cause chemical burns. It is important to handle strong bases with caution and follow proper safety protocols.