How do I learn to design and make my own electronics

In summary, the person is currently familiar with resistor networks and is now learning about RL, RC, and RLC circuits. They want to learn how to create their own circuits and are looking for book recommendations. They are also interested in taking an online course on circuits and electronics.
AchillesWrathfulLove
I have currently only worked on resistor networks and gaining the skills to analyze them. I am now beginning to learn about RL, RC and RLC circuits and still I don't think this is enough knowledge to create my own circuits. To create a circuit you must have a function in mind as in "what do I want to do with these flow of electrons", a simple LED circuit where I could make a blinker is a good start. But even with the current knowledge I have I still wouldn't understand why I need a resistor to go with the blinker and why I need capacitor to go with it as well to make it blink, the WHY is crucial to making circuits cause if not u just being like a robot and putting things where they should be... I want to cut to the chase here and learn how to make circuits. Any books I can read that will allow such things?

Engineering news on Phys.org
AchillesWrathfulLove said:
I have currently only worked on resistor networks and gaining the skills to analyze them. I am now beginning to learn about RL, RC and RLC circuits and still I don't think this is enough knowledge to create my own circuits. To create a circuit you must have a function in mind as in "what do I want to do with these flow of electrons", a simple LED circuit where I could make a blinker is a good start. But even with the current knowledge I have I still wouldn't understand why I need a resistor to go with the blinker and why I need capacitor to go with it as well to make it blink, the WHY is crucial to making circuits cause if not u just being like a robot and putting things where they should be... I want to cut to the chase here and learn how to make circuits. Any books I can read that will allow such things?
Practical Electronics for Inventors is a fairly comprehensive book.

It sounds to me like your more interested in the "how" than the "why" at the moment, which is totally fine. I would recommend getting a simple electronics experiment kit that breadboards things together. It's usually pretty easy to expand those designs into very interesting things with just a small amount of creativity.
Something like this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Ten-Breadboard-Projects-For-Beginners/
or maybe this:
https://www.madaboutscience.com.au/shop/50-basic-electronic-experiments-with-breadboard.html

AchillesWrathfulLove said:
I want to cut to the chase here and learn how to make circuits.
https://www.edx.org/course/circuits-electronics-1-basic-circuit-mitx-6-002-1x-0 said:
Want to learn about circuits and electronics, but unsure where to begin? Wondering how to make computers run faster or your mobile phone battery last longer? This free circuit course taught by edX CEO and MIT Professor Anant Agarwal and colleagues is for you.
There are many online courses out there. Take your pick.

What is the best way to learn how to design and make my own electronics?

The best way to learn how to design and make your own electronics is to start with the basics. This includes learning about basic circuitry, components, and their functions. You can also take online courses, attend workshops, or read books on electronics design. Hands-on experience and practice is also crucial in mastering electronics design.

What tools and equipment do I need to design and make my own electronics?

To design and make your own electronics, you will need basic tools such as a soldering iron, wire cutters, and a multimeter. You will also need a breadboard, which is a prototyping tool for testing circuits. As your projects become more complex, you may need additional tools such as a power supply, oscilloscope, and PCB designing software.

Do I need to have a background in electronics to learn how to design and make my own electronics?

Having a basic understanding of electronics concepts and principles can be helpful, but it is not necessary to have a formal background in electronics to learn how to design and make your own electronics. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn how to design and make their own electronics projects.

Where can I find resources for learning how to design and make my own electronics?

There are various resources available for learning how to design and make your own electronics. You can find online tutorials, books, and courses on platforms like YouTube, Udemy, and Coursera. You can also join forums and communities dedicated to electronics enthusiasts, where you can find helpful tips and advice.

How long does it take to learn how to design and make my own electronics?

The time it takes to learn how to design and make your own electronics may vary depending on your dedication, previous knowledge, and the complexity of your projects. With consistent practice and a strong foundation in electronics basics, you can start designing and making simple projects in a few weeks, but it may take months or even years to master more advanced techniques and projects.