How do I move from QM to QFT and beyond?

• Thread starter taylrl3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Qm
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Quantum Field Theory, with the person seeking recommendations for resources and books to further their understanding of the subject. Suggestions include "Quantum Field Theory" by Srednicki, "Quantum Field Theory" by Mandl and Shaw, and the first volume of "QT of Fields" by Weinberg. It is also mentioned that some mathematical skills, such as group theory and differential geometry, may be necessary to fully understand the subject. Other texts and prerequisites, such as understanding of basic quantum mechanics and classical physics, are also discussed. Overall, it is suggested to consult multiple resources for a better understanding of QFT.
taylrl3
Hi,

I have now finished University where I took an advanced quantum mechanics module in my final undergraduate year. Having left I was quite surprised to find out that this is infact only a grounding in the subject and I would like to know more. I have covered operators and the Hamiltonian and perturbation theory but am looking for somewhere to learn more about QFT ideally. I love the Leonard Susskind lectures on youtube/itunes and was wondering if there might be any similar resources I could use to teach myself more. Also any suggestions of books that are good to work with would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so enthusiastic about Srednicky. Why is he treating [itex]\phi^3[/itex] theory, which is not stable to begin with?

I'd rather recommend to first read Ryder as an introduction to get familiar with the concepts of both the operator and the path-integral formulation of relativistic QFT. Then, to really understand the subject from first principles, I'd take Weinberg, QT of Fields (3 vols.).

vanhees71 said:
I'm not so enthusiastic about Srednicky. Why is he treating [itex]\phi^3[/itex] theory, which is not stable to begin with?

That's because it is a simple theory which allows one to understand fundamental concepts of QFT in a direct way. Physical models are treated in later chapters.

"Quantum Field Theory" by Mandl and Shaw is a gentle introduction. I second the recommendation of Ryder as well.

I understand the didactical reason behind the choice of [itex]\phi^3[/itex] theory (best in 6 dimensions, not to have an even superrenormalizable theory), but as many didactical choices it's not good at all! It gives up one of the most fundamental assumptions of QFT, namely that the Hamiltonian should be bounded from below and that there should be a stable ground state. Why isn't he using [itex]\phi^4[/itex] theory, which is not much more complicated and at least hasn't this verfy fundamental trouble (although it has other deficiencies)?

The first volume of Weinberg's book provides the necessary bridge b/w an advanced course on QM and a rigorous treatment of QFT, but one should be prepared with some extra mathematical skills such as group theory and differential geometry to keep up with the author.

dextercioby said:
The first volume of Weinberg's book provides the necessary bridge b/w an advanced course on QM and a rigorous treatment of QFT, but one should be prepared with some extra mathematical skills such as group theory and differential geometry to keep up with the author.
All the more reason not to start with Weinberg. QFT is a dense subject with some important new concepts. If Wienberg requires differential geometry as a prereq, then his treatment sounds like it runs the risk of sacrificing clarity for rigor and completeness. I agree that group theory is a must; while I wouldn't recommend Kaku's "Quantum Field Theory" as a general text, his group theory discussion is decent enough to get the ball rolling. Also, Ryder introduces those aspects of Lie groups that are pertinent to his development.

It's just about possible to follow Weinberg's discussion of representations of the Lorentz group without much knowledge of group theory or diff geom, but it'll be much much easier if you have it; and to get very far in modern physics you'll need to learn it eventually! Something like the first two chapters of Georgi's book is more than enough to get going.

Before you even get to QFT, there's certain concepts you need to have a solid grasp of already. "Operators, the hamiltonian and perturbation theory" could be regarded as only basic QM; I'd advise looking at the first couple of chapters of e.g. Sakurai's book (or similar) to make sure that you have a reasonable grasp of the basics- state vectors, the significance of hermitian and unitary operators, time evolution and the like. I mention Sakurai's book specifically as he intended it as preparation for learning QFT, so he includes treatments of things like path integrals and propagators that you don't generally meet in undergraduate treatments of QM. For scattering, I'd strongly recommend the book "Quantum theory of nonrelativistic collisions" by Taylor, for very clear and careful explanations of concepts like the S-matrix and the scattering cross-section, the calculation of which is what 90% of QFT boils down to.
There's also classical physics to consider- Lagrangian/Hamiltonian formulations of classical mechanics, and the explicitly Lorentz invariant formulation of electrodynamics.

As for actual quantum field theory texts, I think most people find that they have to look at more than one text for it all to sink in; someone recommended to me a combination of the books by Zee and by Srednicki, and it seems to me that that could work well; both books feature the path integral formalism prominently early on, Zee's has nice conversational style and good pedagogical explanations, and all calculations are presented in the simplest possible way, whilst Srednicki's seems better for actually learning how to calculate things, and using grown-up language (the index of Zee's book won't shed any light on "one-particle-irreducible" diagrams, for example). (A free draft of Srednicki's book is also available online, and at the start features a list of equations you should recognise and understand as a test to see if your prerequisites are up to starting QFT!)

Zee's book is very superficial. I think it's fun to read, if you know the subject but not carefully enough formulated to understand how qft works.

If you prefer an early use of path integrals, I'd recommend Bailin, Love Introduction to Gauge Field Theories.

1. What is the difference between Quantum Mechanics (QM) and Quantum Field Theory (QFT)?

Quantum Mechanics is a mathematical framework that describes the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale, while Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework that combines Quantum Mechanics with special relativity to describe the behavior of quantum fields. In other words, QFT extends QM to include particles and their interactions in a relativistic framework.

2. How can I transition from studying QM to understanding QFT?

The best way to transition from QM to QFT is to first have a strong foundation in QM. This includes a good understanding of linear algebra, classical mechanics, and special relativity. From there, you can begin to learn the basics of QFT, such as the concept of fields, Feynman diagrams, and the Dirac equation. It's also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to solidify your understanding.

3. What are some key concepts to keep in mind when studying QFT?

One key concept to keep in mind is that QFT operates in a different mathematical framework than QM. This means that the principles and equations used in QM may not necessarily apply in QFT. Additionally, QFT involves a lot of mathematical complexity, so it's important to have a good understanding of advanced mathematical concepts, such as group theory and functional analysis.

4. What are some common challenges when learning QFT?

Some common challenges when learning QFT include grasping the abstract and complex mathematical concepts, understanding the conceptual differences between QM and QFT, and being able to apply the theory to real-world problems. It's important to have patience and persistence when learning QFT, as it can be a challenging subject.

5. What are some resources that can help me advance from QM to QFT and beyond?

There are many resources available to help you advance from QM to QFT and beyond. These include textbooks, online lectures and courses, and research papers. It's also helpful to join study groups or attend seminars and conferences to discuss and learn from others in the field. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or professor can also be beneficial in your learning journey.