Learn QFT: From Sakurai to Group Theory & Beyond

• Studying
  • Thread starter mgal95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Sakurai
In summary, the speaker is a third year undergraduate student who has studied Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" and taken courses in Complex Analysis and PDE, but not Green Functions. They want to move onto QFT and have studied Special Relativity and GR on their own. They attempted to study Relativistic QM from Bjorken & Drell but struggled with understanding the covariance of the Dirac equation. They are considering studying group theory before delving into QFT and are looking for book recommendations. The responder suggests starting with Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model or Peskin and Schroeder, which both cover representations of the Lorentz group and are more up-to-date than Bjorken and Drell.
mgal95
Hello everyone,

First of all, I am a third year undergraduate student. I have just finished studying (on my own) Sakurai' s "Modern Quantum Mechanics" (and I have done almost all exercises). I have taken courses in Complex Analysis (contour integration, residues etc) and in PDE (unfortunately this course did not cover Green Functions). I want to proceed to QFT. I took also a course on Special Relativity, at the level of Rindler. I am currently studying (on my own again) GR from Weinberg.

I tried to tackle Relativistic QM from Bjorken & Drell. However, I could not understand how the covariance of the Dirac equation was proven. I know nothing about group theory and I suppose I need to learn some before going into QFT. I plan on studying from Wu-Ki Tung and Georgi. I saw also a nice chapter about the representation of the Lorentz and Poincaré group in Greiner (Relativistic Quantum Mechanics).

Now my question: Is it really necessary to master all these topics, i.e. RQM and group theory before starting QFT? Should I go through all of Georgi for example? Do you have any other good book (and preferably not too long) to suggest me?

I would appreciate some help!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Most QFT books start with relativistic QM in the beginning. I would look at Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model and the more standard Peskin and Schroeder. All the things you are mentioning about representations of the Lorentz group are explained nicely in the first one. I haven't looked at Bjorken and Drell but it is a bit dated. In fact on the back cover of P&S you can find a very funny editor review by one of the two.

1. What is QFT?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is used to understand the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields, and has been successful in predicting and explaining many phenomena in particle physics.

2. Who is Sakurai and why is he important in QFT?

Jun John Sakurai was a Japanese-American physicist who made significant contributions to the development of QFT. His textbook "Modern Quantum Mechanics" is widely used in graduate level courses and helped to popularize the subject. He also introduced the concept of the second quantization formalism, which is a key tool in QFT.

3. What is meant by "group theory" in the context of QFT?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symmetries. In QFT, it is used to classify and analyze the symmetries of physical systems, such as particles and their interactions. Group theory is an important tool in QFT because it helps us to understand the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

4. How is QFT different from classical field theory?

Classical field theory describes the behavior of fields and particles at a macroscopic level, while QFT deals with the quantum behavior of particles and their corresponding fields at a microscopic level. QFT takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and superposition, which are not present in classical field theory. QFT also allows for the creation and annihilation of particles, which is not possible in classical field theory.

5. What are some real-world applications of QFT?

QFT has many practical applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors and lasers. It is also used in the study of condensed matter systems, such as superconductors and superfluids. In addition, QFT has played a crucial role in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is our current understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.