How do I overcome learning plateau?

In summary: And how comfortable are you with it? Do you need any remedial work to remember core topics that you're struggling with?There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this, as everyone learns and remembers information in different ways. However, some tips that may be helpful for you include: focusing on one topic at a time, breaking up a complex subject into manageable chunks, and using a study planner or flashcards to help you retain information. How do you currently study complex topics? How much time do you put into them? What happens if you put more time in? How much time do you have available to commit to your studies?If you find that you can't dedicate the amount of time that
shivajikobardan
I'm facing learning plateau currently in computer science learning. I know an only way to get out of this. It is finding a great teacher who teaches not considering any preriquisites. I'm studying synchronization at this moment as I find it interesting. But I'm unable to devise a general methodology to test mutual exclusion, progress and bounded waiting.
I'm stuck in FLAG variable attempt at solution of critical problem.
I'd made a post 2 years ago as well about how to study complex topics. And I got almost no replies. This is getting serious. My learning plateau isn't stopping for computer science. I know I just need to keep my head on the wall and keep grinding but are there some tools, techniques to overcome this learning plateau as soon as possible in actionable steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
I know an only way to get out of this. It is finding a great teacher who teaches not considering any preriquisites.
I doubt your issue has anything to do with the teacher unless your teachers are just utterly incompetent. Students are usually quick to blame the teacher and slow to blame themselves.

shivajikobardan said:
I'd made a post 2 years ago as well about how to study complex topics. And I got almost no replies. This is getting serious.
To be honest, studying is 90% personal ability and 10% method. There simply isn't some framework that you can implement that will transform the way you learn unless you simply don't know the very basics, like using flash cards, writing things down, making diagrams, etc. If you're already doing those kinds of things then there isn't much else you can do.

shivajikobardan said:
My learning plateau isn't stopping for computer science.
You might have to accept that there just isn't some miracle cure that will help you achieve a breakthrough in learning. It sucks, but that's life my friend.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and shivajikobardan
shivajikobardan said:
It is finding a great teacher who teaches not considering any preriquisites.
What do you mean by this? A teacher who goes over stuff you are expected to know from former courses?

Research has shown the quality of lecture has little effect on student learning. When it comes to learning, it's not what the teacher does that matters, it's what the student does.

shivajikobardan said:
I know I just need to keep my head on the wall and keep grinding but are there some tools, techniques to overcome this learning plateau as soon as possible in actionable steps?
While not giving up too quickly is certainly important, it also doesn't make sense to keep doing the same things if they're not working well. You need to think about how you learn. What kinds of things work for you? What doesn't? What are the specific obstacles to you learning? What can you do differently to overcome them? And so on.

Likes Choppy and Drakkith
shivajikobardan said:
I'd made a post 2 years ago as well about how to study complex topics. And I got almost no replies. This is getting serious. My learning plateau isn't stopping for computer science. I know I just need to keep my head on the wall and keep grinding but are there some tools, techniques to overcome this learning plateau as soon as possible in actionable steps?
It's difficult for anyone to give you a specific solution because much of the answer depends on factors that are very specific to you.
  • What prerequisite material have you covered? And how comfortable are you with it? Do you need any remedial work to remember core topics that you're struggling with?
  • How do you currently study complex topics? How much time do you put into them? What happens if you put more time in? How much time do you have available to commit to your studies?
  • Do you study with friends or a study group? If you do, does this group help or hinder you? Another way of phrasing this is: make friends with people who are more successful and/or more experienced than you.
  • Who do you currently go to for assistance when you're having trouble? How much time and effort are you putting in before you ask for help?
  • Have you made use of any university services that help with study strategies? Often a school will have a office that puts on workshops, seminars and even has staff available for individual consults. If they don't offer anything specific to your courses, stop in and ask.
  • Is everything else in your life effectively balanced? Getting enough sleep? Proper nutrition? Exercise? Socialization?
I'm not in a great position to give you any advice on programming or advanced computer science topics, but my personal experience is that I learn programming best through project work... so if there's a topic you're struggling with, you could try working it into some kind of test project.

Choppy said:
It's difficult for anyone to give you a specific solution because much of the answer depends on factors that are very specific to you.
  • What prerequisite material have you covered? And how comfortable are you with it? Do you need any remedial work to remember core topics that you're struggling with?
What are the preriquisites of an OS class? I've them covered I guess. but probably not 100% like expert.
Choppy said:
  • How do you currently study complex topics? How much time do you put into them? What happens if you put more time in? How much time do you have available to commit to your studies?
I study them from slides available in internet. I read multiple slides. I then read multiple books (part of the book), I watch multiple videos. I do all of this to learn concept to be able to solve exercises. I've 4 hrs per day available to commit to studies along with job.
Choppy said:
  • Do you study with friends or a study group? If you do, does this group help or hinder you? Another way of phrasing this is: make friends with people who are more successful and/or more experienced than you.
I study alone but I wish I had a group. I am trying to form some online friends to meet n learn but it is not possible. I'm not in college at the moment as I've graduated already.
Choppy said:
  • Who do you currently go to for assistance when you're having trouble? How much time and effort are you putting in before you ask for help?
I'll be honest. If I can put effort then I don't get confused in that topic. There are topics where no matter how much effort I put, they don't enter my head. I go to online forums like this for help.
Choppy said:
  • Have you made use of any university services that help with study strategies? Often a school will have a office that puts on workshops, seminars and even has staff available for individual consults. If they don't offer anything specific to your courses, stop in and ask.
I'm from Nepal from a degree farm(that I didn't know was a degree farm when I joined). I am not in college btw, I'm graduated.
Choppy said:
  • Is everything else in your life effectively balanced? Getting enough sleep? Proper nutrition? Exercise? Socialization?
Yes. But no exercise.
Choppy said:
I'm not in a great position to give you any advice on programming or advanced computer science topics, but my personal experience is that I learn programming best through project work... so if there's a topic you're struggling with, you could try working it into some kind of test project.
Thanks.

shivajikobardan said:
I'd made a post 2 years ago as well about how to study complex topics. And I got almost no replies.
If you mean your post of December 6, 2021, you got 6 replies, the last of which included a question to you which you never answered.

It appears that you have taken very little of our advice, in that and other threads. That's your choice, but you can't really blame that on us.

Likes berkeman
Drakkith said:
Students are usually quick to blame the teacher and slow to blame themselves.
Also, if the student does not have the necessary foundational prerequisites, it's hardly the present teacher's fault. At some point, the teacher needs to assume the foundation is there - we can't start calculus by reviewing how to count on our fingers.

1. How do I know if I have reached a learning plateau?

A learning plateau is a period of time where you feel like you are not making any progress in your learning. Signs of a learning plateau include feeling stuck, not being able to retain new information, and not seeing any improvement in your skills or knowledge.

2. What causes a learning plateau?

There are several factors that can contribute to a learning plateau. These include lack of motivation, not using effective learning strategies, and not challenging yourself enough. It can also be caused by external factors such as distractions or a lack of resources.

3. How can I overcome a learning plateau?

One way to overcome a learning plateau is to change up your learning routine. This can include trying new study methods, setting specific goals, and seeking help from a tutor or mentor. It is also important to stay motivated and remind yourself of the reasons why you are learning in the first place.

4. Is it normal to experience a learning plateau?

Yes, it is completely normal to experience a learning plateau. Learning is a process and it is common to have periods of time where you feel like you are not making progress. The key is to not get discouraged and to keep pushing through.

5. How long does a learning plateau typically last?

The duration of a learning plateau can vary for each individual. It can last for a few days, weeks, or even months. It ultimately depends on the person's learning style, motivation, and the subject they are trying to learn. The important thing is to not give up and continue to actively work towards overcoming the plateau.