How Do I Perform a Galilei and Lorentz Transform?

In summary, a spheric light wave invariant is a constant property of a light wave that is measured using interferometry techniques and has applications in optics and photonics. It differs from other types of invariants and has limitations in its applicability and ability to fully describe light wave behavior.
NoLook
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
How do I prove that the wavefront of a spheric light wave (c^2 * t^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2) is not Galilei-invariant but Lorentz-invariant?
Relevant Equations
c^2 * t^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2
c^2 * t^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @NoLook, :welcome: !

Execute a Galilei transform and a Lorentz transform -- the formulas should have been in your relevant equations list

But first read the PF guidelines -- the require you make and post your own attempt

1. What is a spheric light wave invariant?

A spheric light wave invariant is a mathematical concept used to describe the properties of a light wave in three-dimensional space. It is a measure of the curvature of the wavefront and is used to calculate the intensity and polarization of the light.

2. How is the spheric light wave invariant calculated?

The spheric light wave invariant is calculated using the formula I = E2 + B2, where I is the intensity of the light wave, E is the electric field strength, and B is the magnetic field strength. This formula is derived from Maxwell's equations.

3. What are the applications of the spheric light wave invariant?

The spheric light wave invariant has many applications in optics, including in the design of lenses and optical systems. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic radiation and in the development of new technologies such as optical communications and imaging.

4. How does the spheric light wave invariant relate to the speed of light?

The spheric light wave invariant is directly related to the speed of light, as it is a measure of the energy and momentum of the light wave. It is also used in the calculation of the refractive index of a material, which affects the speed of light as it travels through that material.

5. Can the spheric light wave invariant change?

Yes, the spheric light wave invariant can change depending on the properties of the medium through which the light is traveling. For example, it may change when passing through different materials or when encountering obstacles or other sources of interference.