How do I rotate an inertia tensor in Cartesian coordinates?

In summary, the conversation is about rotating an inertia tensor D in the old Cartesian system through +90 in y and -90 in z to translate it to the new system. The standard right hand rule notation is used for the rotation. The new system tensor is represented by the product of N_R, N_D, and N'_R. The value of I_zz in the new system must be the same as I_xx in the old system.
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

I have an inertia tensor D in the old Cartesian system which i need to rotate through +90 in y and -90 in z to translate to the new system. I am using standard right hand rule notation for this Cartesian rotation.

##D= \mathbf{\left(\begin{array}{lll}I_{xx}&I_{xy}&I_{xz}\\I_{yx}&I_{yy}&I_{yz}\\I_{zx}&I_{zy}&I_{zz}\\\end{array}\right)}##, ##N_y(+90)=\mathbf{\left(\begin{array}{lll}0&0&1\\0&1&0\\-1&0&0\\\end{array}\right)}##, ##N_z(-90)=\mathbf{\left(\begin{array}{lll}0&1&0\\-1&0&0\\0&0&1\\\end{array}\right)}##

If we let

##N_R=N_z N_y## (I am pre-multiplying ##N_y## by ##N_z## because that is the order) and the transpose ##N'_R=N_R^T##.

Is the the new system tensor ##N_RDN'_R## or ##N'_RDN_R##...?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Imagine how a vector in the new system would come in: the matrix on the right side would transform this vector to your old system, then the old matrix is applied, then the matrix on the left side transforms it back to your new coordinate system.

mfb said:
Imagine how a vector in the new system would come in: the matrix on the right side would transform this vector to your old system, then the old matrix is applied, then the matrix on the left side transforms it back to your new coordinate system.
Hi mbf,

Not sure I follow. Can you clarify a bit?
Thanks

If v is a vector in your new coordinate system, does ##N_R v## or ##N'_R v## represent the vector in the original coordinate system?
This will be used in the product ##N_R D N_R v## (with the right ' added).

mfb said:

I still haven't grasp your idea of a vector to cross-check. However, I know from a clue that the value of ##I_{zz}## in the new system has to be the same as ##I_{xx}## in the old system because "z axis new" lines up with "x axis old" and so ##N_R D N'_R## does this for me.

However, in the event of no clue, I am still not clear how to use a vector...

Thanks

Related to How do I rotate an inertia tensor in Cartesian coordinates?

1. What are matrix operations?

Matrix operations are mathematical operations that are performed on matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers. These operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why are matrix operations important in science?

Matrix operations are important in science because they allow scientists to manipulate and analyze large sets of data efficiently. They are also used in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and solve complex systems.

3. What is the difference between matrix addition and multiplication?

Matrix addition is performed by adding each corresponding element in two matrices, while matrix multiplication is a more complex operation that involves multiplying individual elements and summing the products. In addition, matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning the order in which matrices are multiplied matters.

4. Can matrices of different sizes be added or multiplied?

No, matrices of different sizes cannot be added or multiplied. In order to perform these operations, the matrices must have the same number of rows and columns.

5. How are matrix operations used in data analysis and machine learning?

Matrix operations are used extensively in data analysis and machine learning to manipulate and analyze large datasets. They are also used in algorithms for tasks such as dimensionality reduction, clustering, and regression.