How do I solve the trigonometric integral of f(x)=cotx+tanx?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of [f(x)]^2, where f(x)=cotx+tanx. The person has attempted various methods to solve the problem, including using substitutions and rearranging the function. Finally, rockfreak suggests using trigonometric identities to expand the function, leading to the solution of tanx-cotx. The person also mentions obtaining \int{sec^2x+cosec^2x}dx through a longer method before realizing the simpler approach.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Part 2, leading on from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315803"

Homework Statement

Given [itex]f(x)=cotx+tanx[/itex] find
[tex]\int{[f(x)]^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted many different varieties of approaches to the problem. Trying to use the substitution method for sinx, cosx, tanx... and a few others... re-arranging the function, trying to get it into a more convenient form... trying to use some of the ideas given in the first thread... No luck.

Basically, it has all been a bunch of guessing and hoping something useful will appear. Plus another bunch of frustration on my part, but I won't get into the details of that xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Expand out [f(x)]^2

use [itex]cot^2x+1=cosec^2x[/itex] and [itex]tan^2x+1=sec^2x[/itex]

Thanks rockfreak :smile:

It turns out to be tanx-cotx. I also obtained [itex]\int{sec^2x+cosec^2x}dx[/itex] through another longer method but it strike me at that moment that I can take the integral of each of these. (I think I'll keep my standard integral formulas close-by next time).

Thanks again.

Related to How do I solve the trigonometric integral of f(x)=cotx+tanx?

1. What is a Trigonometric Integral 2?

A Trigonometric Integral 2 is an integral that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. It is a type of integral that is used in calculus to find the area under a curve of a trigonometric function.

2. How is a Trigonometric Integral 2 different from a regular integral?

A Trigonometric Integral 2 involves trigonometric functions, while a regular integral can involve any type of function. Trigonometric integrals also have specific techniques and formulas for solving them, while regular integrals can be solved using general integration techniques.

3. What are some common trigonometric integrals?

Some common trigonometric integrals are:

• ∫sin(x)dx = -cos(x) + C
  • ∫cos(x)dx = sin(x) + C
  • ∫tan(x)dx = -ln|cos(x)| + C
  • ∫csc(x)cot(x)dx = -csc(x) + C

4. How do you solve a Trigonometric Integral 2?

To solve a Trigonometric Integral 2, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to first identify the type of trigonometric function in the integral and then use the appropriate technique to solve it.

5. Why are Trigonometric Integrals 2 important?

Trigonometric Integrals 2 are important because they are used in many applications of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are also essential for solving more complex integrals and differential equations involving trigonometric functions. Understanding trigonometric integrals is crucial for advanced calculus and higher level math courses.