What Factors Determine the Maximum Allowable Force on a Wooden Beam?

• Thread starter w31ha-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum allowable force P before failure in a wooden beam. The equation used is shear/normal stress = force/area, and the approach involves resolving the force P to be along and normal to the end of the beam and applying a factor of safety. There is a question about the role of distance b in the solution, and it is clarified that P/2cos30 and P/2sin30 should be used instead.
w31ha-

Homework Statement

Finding the maximum allowable force P before failure

Homework Equations

Shear /normal stress = Force / Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can resolve the force P to be along and normal to the end of the wooden beam to find the respective forces separately,applying factor of safety, from the failure stresses given and therefore, determine which P is lower which shall be the maximum allowable P. However, I do not see there the distance b come into play. Am i missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you "resolved" P?

Pcos30 will be my shear force and Psin30 will be my normal force to the end of the beam.

Don't you mean P/2cos30 and P/2sin30?

1. What is the formula for calculating allowable stress?

The formula for calculating allowable stress is: Allowable Stress = Yield Strength / Safety Factor.

2. How do I determine the safety factor for a given material?

The safety factor is typically determined by the specific industry and application. It takes into account the potential risks involved and the level of confidence required in the material's performance. A common safety factor for most materials is 2.0, meaning the allowable stress is half of the yield strength.

3. What are the units of allowable stress?

Allowable stress is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2). However, it can also be expressed in other units depending on the application, such as force per area or stress per area.

4. What are some factors that can affect the allowable stress of a material?

The allowable stress of a material can be affected by factors such as the ambient temperature, the type of loading (tension, compression, bending), the material's composition and microstructure, and the presence of any defects or imperfections in the material.

5. How do I interpret the value of allowable stress?

The value of allowable stress represents the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before it fails. It is important to note that this value is not a guarantee of safety, as there are always inherent risks and uncertainties in engineering applications. It is crucial to carefully consider all factors and use appropriate safety factors when designing with allowable stress values.