Calculating Factor of Safety

• Thread starter AutumnBeds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary: The Attempt at a Solution I have resolves the forces and found the following[/B]Direct Stress 35.12 MpaTensile Stress 0.17 Mpa (I think something may be amiss here)Sheet Stress 26.24 MpaSo 490/35.12 = 13.95 (seems rather high). But then do I repeat for the Ultimate sheer stress?So again 290/35.12 = 8.26.Then is the lower of the two value?Any help is greatly appreciated.Sorry for not responding on this - I've been away for a few weeks on vacation.Please find attached workings out as requested.
AutumnBeds

Homework Statement

[/B]
The 14mm diameter steel bolt with modulus of elasticity of 210GPa and modulus of rigidity of 85 GPa shown in the diagram below holds two components together. The thickness of the bolted interface of the components is 18mm. To 2 decimal places, for the given loading;

Assuming the ultimate tensile stress is 490MN/m2 and the ultimate shear stress is 290MN/m2 determine the factor of safety in operation.

Forces - http://imgur.com/mbTD0Xg

Homework Equations

Assuming the ultimate tensile stress is 490MN/m2 and the ultimate shear stress is 290MN/m2 determine the factor of safety in operation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have resolves the forces and found the following[/B]

Direct Stress 35.12 Mpa
Tensile Stress 0.17 Mpa (I think something may be amiss here)
Sheet Stress 26.24 Mpa

But for the factor of safety the notes I have been given say to divide the UTS by the direct stress,

So 490/35.12 = 13.95 (seems rather high). But then do I repeat for the Ultimate sheer stress?

So again 290/35.12 = 8.26.

Then is the lower of the two value?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered. I think you have two modes of failure, each having its own FoS. The lowest must be the relevant one.

AutumnBeds said:
Tensile Stress 0.17 Mpa (I think something may be amiss here)

Please show us your workings for this problem .

Bolts subjected to both shear and tension forces have allowable stresses governed by shear-tension interaction equations specified by applicable loads. The safety factor depends on what the results of the interaction equation show. It could be quite less than the safety factor for tension alone or shear alone. As requested, please show your work.

AutumnBeds said:
Sorry for not responding on this - I've been away for a few weeks on vacation.

Please find attached workings out as requested.

http://imgur.com/a/OLXFV

http://imgur.com/whVrTat

http://imgur.com/prJRAke

http://imgur.com/ObVc6KR

Thanks
The terms 'direct' stress and 'tensile' stress need definition. Direct stress is tensile stress if no shear stresses exist. Tensile stress is the actual tensile stress on the bolt. In your first image, you are calculating the tensile stress, which you did correctly , except you transposed some numbers it should be 5734, you wrote 5374.

In the 2nd image, you are calculating tensile strain, not stress, and strain is a dimensionless number. I am unsure why you are doing this, though.

In the third image, you have calculated the shear stress correctly.

Now in the 4th image, you calculate a safety factor for tension stress and a safety factor for shear stress, and both are rather large safety factors, but you really can't look at the overall safety factor of the bolt without calculating the effects of both tensile and shear loads applied at the same time, because the shear stress reduces the allowable tensile stress in the bolt, using a combined tension and shear stress formula to determine the allowable tensile stress. Only then can you calculate the safety factor, which will be the lowest of the 3 safety factors so calculated. Are you familiar with combined shear and tension stress formulas? I suspect that the safety factor for shear alone will control, because your actual stresses are rather low, but generally speaking, when shear and tensile stresses are high, the combined stress safety factor will be a lot less than the individual tension and shear alone safety factors.

Thanks,

1. Will redo the calculation and transpose the numbers correctly

2. This most likely just a written error on my behalf

3. Thanks - occasionally I get things correct.

4. No - nothing in the course notes gives guidance on the using the columbines stresses to calculate the fos. If you can offer any guidance on this I would be grateful.

Thanks again.

I
AutumnBeds said:
Thanks,

1. Will redo the calculation and transpose the numbers correctly

2. This most likely just a written error on my behalf

3. Thanks - occasionally I get things correct.

4. No - nothing in the course notes gives guidance on the using the columbines stresses to calculate the fos. If you can offer any guidance on this I would be grateful.

Thanks again.
If it's not in your notes, I guess they are not looking for a combined stress formula, which probably isn't necessary on this problem where stresses are rather low and shear alone safety factor controls.
A combined stress formula for bolts might look like ( approxomTely...don't use it at face value [itex] F_t = 1.3 F_u - 5 f_v </= F_u[/itex] where
F_u = max direct tensile syress at failure
F_t = max allowed tensile failure stress
f_v = applied shear load shear stress

If stresses are low then individual shear or tension safety factors control, but when stresses are high, the combined stress governs and must be used.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of Factor of Safety (FoS)?

The Factor of Safety is a measure of how much stronger a structure or component is compared to the maximum load it is expected to bear. It is calculated by dividing the maximum load a structure can withstand by the actual load it is expected to bear.

2. Why is calculating Factor of Safety important?

Calculating Factor of Safety is important because it helps ensure the safety and reliability of structures, components, and systems. It also helps engineers and designers make informed decisions about the materials and dimensions to use in their designs.

3. What is the recommended range for Factor of Safety?

The recommended range for Factor of Safety varies depending on the type of structure and its intended use. However, in general, a Factor of Safety of 2 or higher is considered safe and standard for most structures.

4. How do you calculate Factor of Safety?

To calculate Factor of Safety, you need to know the maximum load a structure can withstand and the actual load it is expected to bear. The formula for Factor of Safety is: FoS = Maximum load / Actual load.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of Factor of Safety?

The calculation of Factor of Safety can be affected by various factors such as material properties, environmental conditions, and design assumptions. It is important to consider all these factors and use conservative values to ensure a safe and reliable design.