Is My Solution to This Exact Differential Equation Correct?

In summary,You are looking for a function f(x,y) such that \begin{align*}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} &= x \cos(y) + x^2 +y \\\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} &= x + y^2 -\frac12 x^2 \sin y\end{align*} The solution is then given implicitly by f(x,y(x))) = C.
potatocake
Homework Statement
(x cos(y) + x^2 +y ) dx + (x + y^2 - (x^2)/2 sin y ) dy = 0
Relevant Equations
(x cos(y) + x^2 +y ) dx = - (x + y^2 - (x^2)/2 sin y ) dy
(x cos(y) + x2 +y ) dx = - (x + y2 - (x2)/2 sin y ) dy
I integrated both sides
1/2x2cos(y) + 1/3 x3+xy = -xy - 1/3y3+x2cos(y)

Then
I get x3 + 6xy + y3 = 0

Am I doing the calculations correctly?
Do I need to solve it in another way?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for a function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] such that [tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} &= x \cos(y) + x^2 +y \\
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} &= x + y^2 -\frac12 x^2 \sin y
\end{align*}[/tex] The solution is then given implicitly by [itex]f(x,y(x))) = C[/itex].

Are you familiar with how to solve such a system?

Likes Delta2 and WWGD
pasmith said:
You are looking for a function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] such that [tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} &= x \cos(y) + x^2 +y \\
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} &= x + y^2 -\frac12 x^2 \sin y
\end{align*}[/tex] The solution is then given implicitly by [itex]f(x,y(x))) = C[/itex].

Are you familiar with how to solve such a system?
Then do I have to solve two different differential equations?

the first thing i notice is that if i take the partial of the first equation with respect to y it is equal to the partial of the second equation with respect to x. I think this means the system is "exact". My differential equations are a bit rusty. To solve this system, you may need to review exact equations in yout textbook,

mpresic3 said:
the first thing i notice is that if i take the partial of the first equation with respect to y it is equal to the partial of the second equation with respect to x. I think this means the system is "exact". My differential equations are a bit rusty. To solve this system, you may need to review exact equations in yout textbook,
Correct. It implies there is f(x,y) with f_x , f_y equal to the respective equations.

This is a class of ODE known as exact equations in this text

Here is the theorem that gives the solution and a corresponding example from the text
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.33.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.33.22 AM.png

once you get the hang of the process it becomes pretty simple actually.

docnet said:
This is a class of ODE known as exact equations in this text

Here is the theorem that gives the solution and a corresponding example from the textView attachment 281782
View attachment 281783
once you get the hang of the process it becomes pretty simple actually.
I always wondered if it is a coincidence that these are precisely the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is often used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know if a differential equation is solvable?

There is no general rule for determining if a differential equation is solvable. However, there are certain types of differential equations that have known solution methods, such as separable, linear, and exact equations. It is important to identify the type of differential equation and use the appropriate method to solve it.

3. What are the steps for solving a differential equation?

The general steps for solving a differential equation are: 1) Identify the type of differential equation, 2) Manipulate the equation to put it in a standard form, 3) Use an appropriate solution method, 4) Solve for the unknown function, and 5) Check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can I use a computer to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available for solving differential equations. These tools use numerical methods to approximate the solution, which can be useful for complex or nonlinear equations. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and methods for solving differential equations by hand.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a differential equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a differential equation include: 1) Forgetting to check the solution, 2) Incorrectly identifying the type of differential equation, 3) Making algebraic errors when manipulating the equation, and 4) Plugging in the wrong constants or initial conditions. It is important to double check your work and be careful with algebraic manipulations.