Why Is My Quadratic Equation Conversion Incorrect?

In summary, solving a quadratic equation involves finding the values of the variables that make the equation equal to zero. This can be done through various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. It is important to identify the coefficients and constants in the equation and then follow the appropriate steps to determine the solutions. The solutions can be real or imaginary, and it is crucial to check the answers by substituting them back into the original equation to ensure their correctness.
SunnyBoy123
N9E83
Ok so what am I doing wrong, when i try to put equation 300 = (x+3)(x+2)(1) into Stanford form I get x^2 + 5x - 294 = 0.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's a typo. If the sides were originally x and x+5, afterwards they are x-2 (not x+2) and x+3.

This is homework. Please repost in a homework forum, with the template correctly filled out.

Thread closed.

Related to Why Is My Quadratic Equation Conversion Incorrect?

1. How do I identify a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it contains one variable raised to the power of two. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What are the steps to solve a quadratic equation?

The general steps to solve a quadratic equation are:1. Identify the values of a, b, and c.2. Use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a3. Simplify the equation using basic algebra.4. Solve for x by taking the square root and/or using the order of operations.

3. Can I solve a quadratic equation without using the quadratic formula?

Yes, there are other methods to solve a quadratic equation such as factoring, completing the square, or using the graphing method. However, the quadratic formula is the most commonly used and reliable method.

4. What do the solutions of a quadratic equation represent?

The solutions of a quadratic equation represent the values of the variable x that make the equation true. They are also known as the roots or zeros of the equation.

5. How do I know if a quadratic equation has real solutions?

A quadratic equation will have real solutions if the value inside the square root of the quadratic formula (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than or equal to 0. If the value is negative, the equation will have complex solutions.