How do I work out units of velocity from light years?

In summary, the spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years. Compute the velocity of the spaceship.
chloeid

Homework Statement

I'm currently working through the following question:

"A spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years. Compute the velocity of the spaceship."

Homework Equations

I have derived this equation which gives a velocity of 2.4 but I am confused about the units of this.

lelYy.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought automatically that the units would be light years per year but that doesn't make any sense? Or do the units cancel out somehow?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get 2.4 from that equation?

PeroK said:
How did you get 2.4 from that equation?

As t' is 2.5 years and x is 6 light years I substituted them into the equation :)

chloeid said:
As t' is 2.5 years and x is 6 light years I substituted them into the equation :)
What about ##c##?

Likes chloeid
Another way to do this is to reason it out by comparing it with something familiar. A car that takes 3 times as long as another car to go from A to B must be traveling by what fraction of the faster car's speed?

kuruman said:
Another way to do this is to reason it out by comparing it with something familiar. A car that takes 3 times as long as another car to go from A to B must be traveling by what fraction of the faster car's speed?
If I do this then I get a speed bigger than C!

PeroK said:
What about ##c##?

Ah thank you so much! I set c to 1 and got the right answer :)

chloeid said:
Ah thank you so much! I set c to 1 and got the right answer :)

If you go back to your original equation and divide by ##c## you get an expression for ##\frac{u}{c}##.

The key term on the right hand side is then:

##\frac{c^2t^2}{x^2}##

Now, if ##x## is measured in light years or light seconds, (and ##t## in years or seconds, as appropriate) then you can write this as ##c##.years or ##c##.seconds and the ##c^2## cancels out.

Alternatively, of course, you can imagine you are using ##c=1## units

Likes chloeid

1. How is velocity measured in light years?

Velocity in light years is typically measured in kilometers per second (km/s). This unit of measurement is used to describe how fast an object is moving through space.

2. What is the formula for converting light years to velocity?

The formula for converting light years to velocity is: velocity (km/s) = (light years x 9.461 x 10^12) / (time in years). This formula takes into account the distance of one light year and the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. How do I convert light years to kilometers per second?

To convert light years to kilometers per second, you can use the formula mentioned above or use an online converter. You simply enter the number of light years and the converter will provide the equivalent velocity in kilometers per second.

4. Can velocity be measured in other units besides kilometers per second?

Yes, while kilometers per second is the most commonly used unit for velocity, it can also be measured in meters per second, miles per hour, or any other unit of distance divided by time.

5. Is velocity always constant in light years?

No, velocity can vary depending on the object's speed and direction of movement. For example, if an object is moving at a constant velocity of 10 km/s, it will cover a distance of 10 kilometers per second. However, if its velocity changes to 20 km/s, it will cover a distance of 20 kilometers in the same amount of time.